Drought-Tolerant Plants

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Drought-Tolerant Plants

Postby wildrose » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Drought Proof Ground Covers for Hot, Sunny Slopes
Some great plants here! It would be nice to see more local yards filled up with plants and drought-tolerant plants don't take a lot of water or work!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Drought-Tolerant Plants

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:53 am

I like all the salt cedars that are planted around Trona. Every time I see one cut down it makes me sad. I've had lots of troubles with their roots in the past but a good root killer containing copper sulfate twice a year down the pipes seems to do the trick and keep them from being a problem. Supposedly it only kills the roots near the pipes. It doesn't seem to hurt the trees at all. It's also a lot cheaper than cutting them down. The directions say that once the roots in the pipe are killed that they seal off new roots from growing through the pipes. If you order straight copper sulfate from Ebay it's about half the cost of buying root killer and it's the same thing.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:27 am

surfsteve wrote:I like all the salt cedars that are planted around Trona. Every time I see one cut down it makes me sad. I've had lots of troubles with their roots in the past but a good root killer containing copper sulfate twice a year down the pipes seems to do the trick and keep them from being a problem. Supposedly it only kills the roots near the pipes. It doesn't seem to hurt the trees at all. It's also a lot cheaper than cutting them down. The directions say that once the roots in the pipe are killed that they seal off new roots from growing through the pipes. If you order straight copper sulfate from Ebay it's about half the cost of buying root killer and it's the same thing.

Salt cedars are better than nothing, but they need to be kept under control. For people living close to the highway and near the lake bed salt cedars aren't a bad choice. But further up the alluvial it's probably best to go with a different type of tree.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:17 am

panamint_patty wrote:
surfsteve wrote:I like all the salt cedars that are planted around Trona. Every time I see one cut down it makes me sad. I've had lots of troubles with their roots in the past but a good root killer containing copper sulfate twice a year down the pipes seems to do the trick and keep them from being a problem. Supposedly it only kills the roots near the pipes. It doesn't seem to hurt the trees at all. It's also a lot cheaper than cutting them down. The directions say that once the roots in the pipe are killed that they seal off new roots from growing through the pipes. If you order straight copper sulfate from Ebay it's about half the cost of buying root killer and it's the same thing.

Salt cedars are better than nothing, but they need to be kept under control. For people living close to the highway and near the lake bed salt cedars aren't a bad choice. But further up the alluvial it's probably best to go with a different type of tree.

I like the trees with the pink flowers that they have planted by the bike path. Those will look really neat when they get bigger. Anyone know what kind of tree that is anyways?
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Drought Resistant Plants A - L
Don't over-water drought resistant plants! Except during the first year or two they may need extra water. But once they are established, don't over-water!!!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Mecardonia Golddust
Here's a neat little plant. The only problem is that it tends to die off when nights go under 25F! It does well in heat and may live a few years except where it gets too cold in the winter.

OLD VIDEO DELETED: qCGyxDxi66o :shrug:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:16 am

Drought Tolerant Plants L - Z
Part two of the video posted by CactusPete. Lots of interesting info. For instance, some drought-tolerant plants can't tolerate fertilizers containing phosphorus. LIve and learn!
:sun:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:44 am

This is a great thread topic. I'd like to plant a few plants that don't need a lot of water, but which look good and which aren't the usual thing you see around town. I have a couple books and I'm trying to figure out what to order, but haven't decided yet. Anyone with suggestions feel free to post them especially if you've had success with the plant that you suggest.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CoolChick » Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 am

What flowers do the best in the Trona area? A friend wants to plant either some petunias, geraniums, marigolds, pansies, or zinnias in her yard in Pioneer Point, but I don't think any of those are likely to last. Anyone have any luck with those plants or any other small plants that put out attractive flowers?
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:17 am

Star Nursery Dr Q Drought Tolerant Plants :sun:
This Dr Q really knows his plants!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Desert Gardening Tips