Plants for Alkaline Soil

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Re: Plants for Alkaline Soil

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm

Best Perennials for Sun - Scabiosa 'Pink Mist' (Pincushion Flower)
This is a perennial that can handle alkaline soil and can handle the climate here as long as it gets a little protection from prolonged exposure to direct sun during the summer.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 am

panamint_patty: I'll look for Scabiosa in Ridgecrest. I wonder if WalMart or Home Depot are more likely to carry it. WalMart has surprised me on many occassions with plants which are well-suited to local growing conditions.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 am

wildrose: WalMart has surprised me several times with really great plants which are ideal for the high desert. Home Depot often falls short and just stocks plants which are better suited for Los Angeles than for the desert. Often I get the feeling that Home Depot doesn't try very hard.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Plants for Akaline Soil

Postby shadylady » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 am

panamint_patty: Home Depot is good for a lot of things, but I agree that WalMart has done a better job recently when it comes to its selection of plants. There's a lot of room for improvement, but so far I'd give WalMart a C+ and Home Depot a D when it comes to providing plants that do well in this region. Not sure what's holding either back from achieving an A grade, but neither has made a significant effort to improve. I think there's money to be made, but apparently no visionaries out there ready to fulfill the need.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:51 am

WALMART and HOME DEPOT:
Here are ten native plants you should sell that use very little water and are attractive:
1) California buckwheat
2) creosote
3) brittlebush
4) desert mallow
5) Mexican bladdersage
6) rabbitbrush
7) jimson weed
8) desert marigold
9) rock daisy
10) desert senna
LONG LIST OF NATIVES: http://www.dvplants.com/PLANTS/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:58 am

Do Pine Needles Make Soil More Acidic? Truth or Gardening Myth?
The myth that pine needles lower the pH of the soil busted! And like it says at the end of this video:
REMEMBER YOU CAN CHANGE THE WORLD ONE YARD AT A TIME!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:15 am

North Texas All Stars
1) BLACKFOOT DAISY (see part of video beginning at 2:20). It can handle high alkalinity and it takes very little water. Scientific name: Melampodium leucanthum.
2) PINK SKULLCAP (Scutellaria suffrutescens) also shows up near the end of the video. It can also handle high alkalinity.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:41 am

tronagirl: Love the idea that YOU CAN CHANGE THE WORLD ONE YARD AT A TIME! If everyone made their small contribution we would all enjoy an enhanced quality of life. It doesn't need to be anything extravagant. Just a few plants here and there can make a big difference!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:13 am

deathvalleyjake: The desert around Trona needs a lot of help. It's been badly damaged by idiots who plow up the soil with their idiot machines. The BLM and sheriffs really ought to step in and put a stop to the mayhem. The entire area needs some serious rehabilitation. One yard at a time would be a good start, but Trona needs some major intervention before the idiots ruin everything.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Desert Gardening Tips