Air Purifying House Plants

Share info or tips or ask questions about Desert Gardening here. Suggest plants which do well in harsh desert conditions!

Air Purifying House Plants

Postby CoolChick » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:22 am

15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality :thumb:
Not everyone has a yard in which to grow plants and with the cost of water and the extreme heat it might not be a bad idea to grow an indoor garden! Plants listed in this presentation include: Aloe Vera, Spider Plant, Gerber Daisy, Snake Plant, Golden Pothos, Chrysanthemum, Red-Edged Dracaena, Weeping Fig, Azalea, English Ivy, Warneck Dracaena, Chinese Evergreen, Bamboo Palm, Heart Leaf Philodendron, and Peace Lily.
LINK: http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-spaces/photos/15-houseplants-for-improving-indoor-air-quality/a-breath-of-fresh-air
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Air Purifying House Plants

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 am

Air Purification House Plants
An all natural air filtration system! :thumb:
Get the right plants for fresh air! :bounce:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:15 am

Benefits of Houseplants
This list includes some standards and a couple ones I'm not familiar with.
Best Plants for Indoor Use
Common Name :sun: Latin Name
Spider plant | Chlorophytum comosum
Dragon tree | Dracaena marginata
Gerbera daisy | Gerbera jamesonii
English ivy | Hedera helix
Boston fern | Nephrolepis exaltata ‘Bostoniensis’
Philodendron | Philodendron
Snake plant | Sansevieria trifasciata
Peace lily | Spathiphyllum

LINK: http://www.bayeradvanced.com/articles/5-benefits-of-houseplants
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Do cacti absorb harmful radiation emitted by computers?
You may have heard the myth that cactus absorb radiation. Some people believe this to be true and so they keep a potted cactus next to their computer monitor. Some people keep cactus by their television screens for this reason also. Although this myth has been debunked, there are still those who believe it. Myth or not, it is still true that cactus make great houseplants and so there's nothing wrong with keeping a cactus in the vicinity of your computer or TV set just as long as you realize that it does nothing to protect you from any radioactive emissions produced by your computer.
LINKS:
http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/8225/do-cacti-absorb-harmful-radiation-emitted-by-computers
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=45928.0
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: House Plants

Postby CoolChick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:13 am

Cactus and Radiation: A friend of mine told me about that myth and she actually believed it to be true. It didn't seem likely to me, but she insisted that desert cacti live in places where the radition level is higher than normal and that somehow they were created by The Almighty to help protect people and animals from radiation. I was skeptical of her story and now I know I was right!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CactusHugger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:59 pm

Mutant cactuses prized by collectors
Cactus are awesome houseplants. Lots of neat varieties and some are pretty darn unique in appearance:
Cresting happens when a new growth emerges from a line rather than a point. It's spontaneous and unpredictable, and no two examples are alike. Because such mutants tend to be slow-growing, the older the crest, the more prized by collectors. Crests are found more often in cactuses and succulents than in the rest of the plant kingdom...

LINK: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2010/08/crested-cactus-la-cactus-show.html
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Re:Air Purifying House Plants

Postby tronagirl » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:32 am

Cactuses make nice indoor plants, but this thread is supposed to be about AIR PURIFYING house plants. Something tells me that cactuses aren't anything special when it comes to purifying the air. I could be wrong, but thought I'd head things off at the pass before this thread got too far off track. Maybe a new thread about growing cactuses inside the house or in the yard would be a good idea.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:55 am

Peace Lily Care
According to this info page the peace lily does a good job of making its needs known. Pay attention and you know if you're over-watering or under-watering or if the plant is getting the right amount of sun.
:thumb:
Of all the flowering house plants, Peace Lily care is probably the easiest. In fact, it tolerates average indoor conditions better than many house plants.

LINK: http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/peace-lily.html
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Peace Lily

Postby jarhead » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23 am

panamint_patty: Sounds like the kind of plant that a hippie would have! Damn hippies with their hanging basket plants and their tree hugging and their sissy peace signs. The only thing worse than a commie is a hippie and that's assuming that we're talking about hippies who aren't also commies!
jarhead
Greenhorn

Re: Peace Lily

Postby tronagirl » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:49 am

jarhead: You're really getting on my nerves! You might think you're funny, but you're really not. You're also off topic since it doesn't matter who the grower happens to be. THIS THREAD IS ABOUT PLANTS THAT PURIFY THE AIR!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Desert Gardening Tips