Road Closures and Conditions

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Road Closures

Postby sandman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:24 am

Looks like some progress has been made, but what I hear is that they have another month or two before they finish the job. At least now they're actually working to fix the problem, but I still say they should have started way sooner!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:19 am

I hear that Panamint Valley is now open, but that there is a mile or so that still needs work and which is just graded gravel at this time. Not sure about the status of the road up to the kilns. If anyone has been up that way, it would be nice to know about the status of that stretch of road!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 am

I checked the Death Valley Morning Report the other day and it said that Wildrose Road is still closed. I haven't heard any information on what the park plans on doing about that. It sure would be nice to be able to have access to the roads we pay for!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby whiskeypete » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:39 am

Heard from a friend who works at Briggs that the road up Goler Wash is blocked by large bolders. He said that a bunch of people in 4x4 rigs weren't able to get up the canyon and had to turn back around. He said some of them were joking about using dynamite to blow up the bolders, but he was pretty sure that they were just joking.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby jeepnut » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:31 am

Anyone hear anything about Wildrose Road? I hear that it's still closed. Sure would hate to lose that one permanently!
jeepnut
Greenhorn

Postby sandman » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 am

jeepnut: What I heard is that the bottom part is signed closed like for South Pass to Saline Valley, but that the gate that's three or four miles up is locked. Basically that means that you should be able to access the dirt road that goes off to Tuber Canyon and not much else.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 am

Last time I went by Saline Valley Road there wasn't a sign indicating that the road was closed. Also my understanding is that Wild Rose Road is closed to through traffic and that the gate is unlocked. Technically what I understand is that only the bottom three miles is closed.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:41 am

So the last I've heard is that there's still a section of the road through Panamint Valley that has not been paved. I road over that several months ago and it's amazing that they haven't gotten to paving it yet. Also any word on the status of Wildrose Road? I've heard it's still signed as closed although people still drive it just the same.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

I don't know how many months it's been, but it's been over a year and the road still hasn't been paved in the middle of Panamint Valley and Wildrose Road still hasn't been repaired. What kind of imbeciles are running things in Inyo County? I can see a delay of six weeks, but it's been over a fricking year! There's no excuse for this kind of incompetence!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Last week and this week I took Wildrose Road to get to the trailheads for Wildrose and Telescope, respectively. The road is still signed as closed, but it's actually in pretty good shape. The slight obstacles are clearly marked with cones and markers and the road does narrow down to a single lane below the park boundary gate, but there are no real hazards and so it's hard to see why the road is closed. As for above the gate, the road is in better shape than normal. I talked to a ranger at Mahogany Flat and he said that he could not condone using the road and that anyone caught by law enforcement operating a motorized vehicle on the closed section of road was likely to be issued a citation.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature