Rattlesnakes

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Rattlesnakes

Postby mrfish » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Rattlesnake bites young boy in rural East County
This video includes some useful information about rattlesnakes in general and rattlesnake bits in particular.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:28 pm

Giant rattlesnake discovered in Alpine backyard :scared:
Info about why baby rattlesnakes are more dangerous than the big ones!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Wed May 11, 2016 6:27 am

When there are lots of rodents, it soon follows that there will be plenty of snakes. I saw a ton of rats, mice, and ground squirrel or chipmunk type rodents while out exploring the desert these last couple weeks and so there will be a surplus of snakes soon. Or at least that seems like a reasonable prognostication based on the available evidence.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:26 pm

Mission Trails Park could be key to snakebite cure
Squirrels and wood rats down near San Diego seem to be immune to rattlesnake venom. Study proposed to find out why.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 am

The warm weather we've experienced these last few days is likely to entice snakes to come out of their holes. They say that rattlers accumulate a lot of venom during hibernation and so bites early in the spring can often deliver more toxic venom than might be the case later in the season. Keep an eye open for snakes!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 am

Expectant mother finds rattlesnake in her laundry :eek:
It crawled in through a gap beneath a door. No one I know has a gap like that, but that's how snakes get into houses. No gaps = no snakes!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:24 am

Meet the retired Marine who spends his days wrangling NorCal rattlesnakes
Rattlesnake removal service for people who live in semi-rural areas is probably not lucrative, but it is a service some people are going to require. Although most people just take care of the darn things themselves!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:17 am

A friend of mine said he saw a rattlesnake out by Great Falls a few days ago. This is the first local sighting I've heard about this year. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have seen rattlers in the last few weeks in Searles Valley or Panamint Valley or near Ridgecrest, but this is the first one I've heard about so far this year!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby tronagirl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:32 am

BoraxBill: Two friends have told me about rattlesnakes they've seen so far this year. One was near Fish Rocks and the other was north of Valley Wells somewhere in the desert. So far I haven't seen one with my own eyes this year, but considering the rainfall it's pretty likely there will be more than we've seen in recent years and so I plan on being snake-conscious from now until about November in particular.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:51 am

I wonder what that guy does with the snakes after he catches them. If he lets them go I wonder how many of them make their way back into town for repeat business.

With all the bugs last year it makes sense that there would be more snakes and critters that eat them this year. Next year maybe we'll see an increase in animals that eat the snakes and critters that ate the bugs from the year before.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature