Public Lands and Conservation

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Public Lands and Conservation

Postby recluse » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:18 pm

Why is Africa building a Great Green Wall? BBC News
Climate change or not, this is still an interesting idea that could make a real difference!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 pm

Trump may announce shrinking national monuments
Trump is in enough hot water as it is. The last thing he needs is another fight he can't win!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Public Lands and Conversation

Postby drdesert » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:13 am

A lot of the criticism of Trump is unfair and unfounded, but this is one area where he's really fucking up. Not only is this move to shrink national monuments petty and vindictive, it's just plain stupid and ridiculously short-sighted!
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:20 am

drdesert wrote:A lot of the criticism of Trump is unfair and unfounded, but this is one area where he's really fucking up. Not only is this move to shrink national monuments petty and vindictive, it's just plain stupid and ridiculously short-sighted!

What is so wrong with letting local government and the State control the land? We see what a great job the Fed's do with other land they are responsible for. We see how great the Fed's have been managing the Natives for decades now. Just what do the Fed's manage right?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 pm

'Hands off Utah!’ – thousands decry govt plans to shrink national monuments
Apparently people in the state of Utah feel pretty strongly about this decision. Of course, even if Trump continues down the stupid path he's on, there's a very good chance that the courts will humiliate him with another reversal. But like the people of Utah say: KEEP YOUR TINY HANDS OFF OUR PUBLIC LANDS!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:42 am

Whether public lands are managed at the state level or the federal level doesn't make too much difference to me. The important thing is that they are set aside and assessible to the general public. The last thing I want to see is a step backwards and Trump's proposed changes are completely unacceptable and erase any trace of goodwill I have regarding him or his policies.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 am

There is big differences between local or federal management. The local government, meaning in this case, the State of Utah has a much more understanding on what is best for the land and it’s use by those most greatly affected by it’s use. I do understand it is just another reason to bag on Trump for nothing, it is what all the cool kids do.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:28 pm

Trump Privatizes National Parks
Huge mistake. I disagree with the Young Turks most of the time, but this one they nail pretty precisely.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby recluse » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am

mrfish: I like the comparison between the public lands debate and the net neutrality debate. Both decisions by the Trump administration reflect a philosophy which has complete and utter contempt for the middle class. All that exists in their world are other rich people and the peons be damned! I think Trump will be soundly defeated in the court system and if not there could be a serious uprising. The corruption at that point would be so evident and obvious that there would be no choice but to take our country back!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:55 am

recluse wrote:mrfish: I like the comparison between the public lands debate and the net neutrality debate. Both decisions by the Trump administration reflect a philosophy which has complete and utter contempt for the middle class. All that exists in their world are other rich people and the peons be damned! I think Trump will be soundly defeated in the court system and if not there could be a serious uprising. The corruption at that point would be so evident and obvious that there would be no choice but to take our country back!

You know he will be elected by a much bigger margin the next time don't you?
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature