Local Cabins

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Local Cabins

Postby sandman » Wed May 10, 2017 6:17 am

People need to realize that many of the so-called cabins listed in CrustyOldFart's list which was originally posted by James Sel on the old forum, aren't much more than shacks and really, old shacks at that. BTW, I don't see the Lemoigne Cabin on that list.
sandman
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 am

sandman: I think most people are just looking for an interesting destination for a hike and not a place to spend the night. Only a few of the cabins are nice enough to spend the night in and even at that there is always the fear of hantavirus. I'd be very reluctant to spend the night in even the nicest of these cabins. A few years ago some people died of hantavirus after staying in tent cabins in Yosemite. If you can contract the disease there, then the chances of being exposed are even greater in ANY of the local cabins. All it takes is a few rodent droppings.
BoraxBill
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:46 am

BoraxBill: Good point. When I step inside an old cabin I am very careful not to stir up any dust. It would probably be a better idea not to step into an old cabin at all, but I can't resist looking around and exploring. The threat of hantavirus should be enough to overcome my curiosity, however.
sandman
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local History