Poison Canyon

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Poison Canyon

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:23 am

I'm surprised that one of the curves either entering Poison Canyon or exiting the canyon hasn't been named Dead Man's Curve. It's kind of a cliche but it seems that most areas have at least one curve with that name. On the other hand, maybe with a name like Poison Canyon, such a name is not necessary. I've known of a few people who have died passing through that stretch of road and I always feel a little sad when driving through the canyon, especially if I'm alone.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrfish » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:12 am

Poison Canyon Inn
Located about 1.3 miles west of Fish Rocks by a couple small salt cedar trees on the north side of the highway is where the Poison Canyon Inn once stood. Basically it was a bar that was active back during the days of prohibition. So, it would be fair to call it an outlaw bar.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:31 am

Apparently there was another fatality in Poison Canyon. I was with a friend driving to RC a week or so ago and there were lots of cars pulled over to the side of the road and a group of people gathered down in the wash within sight of Fish Rocks. From what I understand a guy who works in Trona, but lives in RC was driving a bit too fast and lost control of his vehicle. Seems like some kind of accident in or near Poison Canyon happens at least once or twice a year.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 am

twister: Apparently whoever died had a lot of enemies. They've vandalized the site where the accident happened by spray-painting graffiti on the rocks. It said something like 10-4 TFL. Obviously, TFL stands for Total F--king Loser or something like that. Not sure what the guy could have done to deserve such disrespect.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:17 am

crustyoldfart: I agree that it is disrespectful to paint graffiti on the rocks near the accident site, but my theory is that TFL is probably the guy's initials. But it might as well be what you said seeing as painting graffiti on the rocks like that does seem like an insult of the most severe kind.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:27 am

10-4 is code for acknowledgement in CB radio slag and is not particularly derogatory. Till freaking later and the guys initials, were my first two thoughts as I was driving past it. Crusty's assumption did cross my mind though.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:55 am

The graffiti near the crash site could have been a misguided effort by an extremely ignorant and immature person to pay tribute to the guy who was killed, but with friends like that, who needs enemies? Of course, the guy is dead now anyways and so all we are left with is the senseless graffiti created by a selfish and destructive individual.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby sierra_jim » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:17 am

I had heard that the guy who was killed in the accident in Poison Canyon was somehow involved in the Volunteer Fire Department here in Searles Valley. I find it surprising that anyone associated with such an organization would vandalize roadside rocks. Of course, it could be that he had some gangster friends who didn't know any better. Either way, it's ashame that his memory is sullied by such a shameful act.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BoraxBill » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 am

It's about time that someone cleans up the litter left in Poison Canyon not far from Fish Rocks. Although those who left the mess down there probably think of it as a memorial, most people look at it as trash and an extremely disrespectful way to memorialize someone. The halfwits responsible for the mess should clean it up!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby desertrat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:48 am

BoraxBill: My theory is that if you're going to make a roadside memorial for someone, you ought not make it look like a pile of trash. In my book that's disrespectful to the memory of the deceased. To make matters worse, the site looks like a glowing pile of trash at night!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local History