Trona Centennial Celebration

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Trona Centennial Celebration

Postby mrfish » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:52 am

From the sound of things there will be a lot going on. My prediction is that most of the out-of-town visitors will be former residents of Trona. There probably won't be a lot of interest from the rest of humankind, but I'm sure the population of Trona will double during the event for at least a few hours! Of course, doubling the population in Trona doesn't take a whole lot of people!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:42 am

mrfish: You're almost certainly correct that most of the people who show up for the centennial celebration will be former residents. There may also be a few history buffs, but it will mostly be people who moved away. Also it'll mostly be older people. Expect to see lots of retired people making the trip out here!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:22 am

HISTORY SYMPOSIUM: I saw where they're giving locals a five dollar discount on the History Symposium that basically lasts all day on Friday, March 28. The cost is 25 bucks for everyone else. Even at 20 bucks it's still kind of expensive. I could see ten dollars for people living in town and 12 bucks for everyone else. I just don't see why they need to charge so much!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:44 am

ShadyLady: The prices you suggest seem reasonable for an all day event. I can't imagine why they would charge so much unless there is some famous person coming who they are paying a high appearance fee. I can't imagine who that would be, but you never know.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:03 am

Booklet highlights Argus cemetery :thumb:
This sounds like an interesting pamphlet. It sounds like someone proposed that tours of the Argus Cemetery be offered, but that the idea was dropped as a result of legal/bureaucratic/insurance issues.
The tours were ultimately cancelled due to insurance problems, but Sizemore said she didn’t want to let the booklet go. The result is the 48-page, “Argus Cemetery, Trona, California 1915-1965,” which includes a map and guide on the back cover.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20140227/NEWS/140229596/0/SEARCH
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:24 am

There are a number of interesting events that were listed on a flyer that I saw the other day. I have to agree that the charge for attending the history symposium seems a little high, but I also notice that there are a couple musical events that seem to be priced a little high. One event is billed as a musical festival with three bands and the other is a concert by someone called Keeter Stuart. Does anyone even know who the heck is Keeter Stuart? LOL
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Keeter Stuart

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:36 am

I searched for Keeter Stuart on YouTube and didn't find much and what I did find wasn't anything to get excited about. He has a good voice and he plays guitar alright, but none of the songs I heard were anything special. On top of that, none of the videos I found had much more than 1000 views.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Keeter Stuart

Postby BoraxBill » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:20 am

Crusty: Yep, not a lot of info out there on the guy. Apparently he ain't too famous, but that doesn't mean he's not talented. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd pay money to watch him perform either!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:43 am

cactuspete wrote:There are a number of interesting events that were listed on a flyer that I saw the other day. I have to agree that the charge for attending the history symposium seems a little high, but I also notice that there are a couple musical events that seem to be priced a little high. One event is billed as a musical festival with three bands and the other is a concert by someone called Keeter Stuart. Does anyone even know who the heck is Keeter Stuart? LOL

CrustyOldFart wrote:I searched for Keeter Stuart on YouTube and didn't find much and what I did find wasn't anything to get excited about. He has a good voice and he plays guitar alright, but none of the songs I heard were anything special. On top of that, none of the videos I found had much more than 1000 views.
BoraxBill wrote:Crusty: Yep, not a lot of info out there on the guy. Apparently he ain't too famous, but that doesn't mean he's not talented. On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd pay money to watch him perform either!

So did anyone make it to the Keeter Stuart performance? How about a critical review of the spectacle?
:thumb: or :down: ?
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 am

Trona 100 years celebration parade 2014
Here's a nearly 20 minute long video of the parade. YouTube should have a fast forward feature. It's a little hard to watch 20 minutes of parade in real time. YouTube does let you skip ahead, but doing that you can miss something interesting. Great video all the same!
:thumb:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local History