Schools in Trona

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Schools in Trona

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 am

twister: That was a very creative senior prank! It was probably inspired by the old idea of wrapping cars in plastic wrap and that's only a step away from getting toilet paper tangled up in the branches of trees. There are so many amazing creative uses for common household products!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:12 am

I noticed that the rock in front of the high school is decorated differently once again. It wasn't too impressive, but I'm pretty sure it was different. I don't recall if the fire hydrant was painted before or not, but for some reason it caught my eye too.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:58 am

tronagirl: Yes, I noticed the rock too. I'd give the class that decorated the rock an F minus and tell them to give it another try, only this time don't have the least artist moron in the class decorate the rock!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Wed May 24, 2017 5:12 pm

RUTH MINE SCHOOL
Here's an interesting excerpt from Searles Valley Story:
On January 7, 1941, the Ruth Mine School District was organized in Homewood Canyon from the Darwin District. They had 22 pupils and grades 1 through 8. In less than two years the gold mines were closed by government order. Then the few remaining children were taken to the Trona School. At the end of ten years and the mines did not open, the Ruth Mine School District was dissolved and returned to the Darwin School District in 1951. Ten years later in 1961 they were annexed to the Trona School District. This was accomplished by a direct vote of the people in the area...
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dzrtdwg » Wed May 31, 2017 7:19 am

I suppose it's fair to say that the creation of the China Lake military base pretty much wiped out the Darwin School District seeing as the only thing now between the actual town of Darwin and Homewood Canyon is China Lake! BTW, my understanding is that Darwin is now part of the school district in Lone Pine.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby blackturtle.us » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Here's the design from late last week. It may have since changed. What I heard is that there was a design painted on the rock just before this that lasted maybe a couple of hours before this one was applied.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:19 am

ROCK DESIGN: The rock is supposed to celebrate an entire graduating class, not a single individual. On top of that 2K17 instead of 2017 is just asinine and the design is about as crappy as it gets. Hate to be a critic, but selfishness combined with lack of creativity equals total fail!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby drdesert » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:12 am

dzrtdwg: The China Lake military base pretty much wiped out a lot of things. There's a lot of interesting history on that base. Although the base allows people to visit a few special spots, there's a ton of interesting sites that the public is never allowed to visit.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby shotgunmary » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:38 am

The military base blocks access to a lot of interesting history. The occasional field trips they allow barely scratch the surface of the long list of sites that would be worth exploring. We were robbed of a lot of history.
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Previous

Return to Local History