China Lake

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: China Lake

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:59 am

Probably closer to 1% proof than 100%. I can't recall when the China lake explosions were but I'm pretty sure it wasn't after July 4th. I suppose it's possible that the explosions might have triggered something; but it's likely that it would have happened sooner or later anyway.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:11 am

Pretty sure the explosions the video was talking about were on May 7th.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=614&p=16516&hilit=explosions&sid=33a06ae0e5a6f8200c20d64534496d9b#p16516
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dilbert » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:22 am

Search Continues For Pilot Of Fighter Jet That Crashed In Death Valley
All sorts of bad wording in this news report. Apparently whoever wrote the report is not familiar with the area up around Father Crowley Overlook.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby ergot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:49 pm

Breaking News as China Lake Naval Base could CLOSE!! 5 Billion in damages!!
There's a lot of bullshit in this video, but there might be a tiny bit of truth in there somewhere. Anyone know anything?
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Quake damage estimate tops $5B at California Navy base
Nothing about the base closing here, but the cost of repairs will be staggering! The question is whether they will even bother repairing some of these facilities. If not, most likely workers will be relocated and that might not be a good thing for the local economy.
The base's total repair and replacement cost of $5.2 billion includes buildings as well as furniture, tools, communications and other specialized equipment. However, officials say the figures could change before an estimate finally reaches Congress. Any funding for repairs and reconstruction will require congressional and presidential approval.

https://kmph.com/news/local/quake-damage-estimate-tops-5b-at-california-navy-base
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:15 am

Doesn’t that cost seem a little odd. I was involved with a Solar Project there and the standards spec out were way above private or state requirements. Every military/federal project I have been involved with have been built with the greatest standards. Hard for me to think the base took a bigger hit than Trona. 5b seems more than what all other damage in the areas off base. If the cost is also including renovations to other portions of the base not damaged in the earthquake just say so, I would understand the 5 Billion. Hell maybe it is to repair the tunnels to Area 51.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:46 am

You're forgetting that a hammer costs $500 when it comes to government spending. When you take that into account $5 billion is a bargain.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:18 am

FIVE BILLION does seem like a bit much. I haven't heard too much recently about how the base is coming along in their recovery efforts. I haven't heard if anyone has been displaced or anything like that. If crowds at WalMart are any indication, I'd say if anything more people have been brought into the area.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local History