Alternative Energy Sources

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Alternative Energy Sources

Postby desertrat » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:59 am

tronagirl wrote:twister: Those are really nice tiles, but I think you're probably right about them being hella expensive. The other question I have is how heavy are they. Would they weigh too much to put on a roof that isn't properly reinforced? Or is that even an issue?

I don't know about the weight issue, but I'm sure they'll be pretty expensive. Maybe not the individual tiles themselves, but the system to harvest the energy from them is likely to be pretty pricey. Not sure how it will compare to systems currently available. It would be nice to have some energy independence, but that all depends on how much it costs!
desertrat
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 am

What If Everyone Lived Like Americans? :unsure:
One way to deal with energy issues is to cut consumption and it looks like Americans have a lot that they could cut! (And we'd probably all be better off in many ways if we did!)
shadylady
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:11 am

shadylady: Lifestyle changes probably would make more difference than any change in technology that is likely to become available any time in the near future. We could probably cut half our energy usage just by planning better, being less wasteful, and making a few alterations in the food we eat and the products we buy. No wonder the rest of the world looks at us as a nation of spoiled, lazy ignoramuses!
wildrose
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:06 pm

Surviving Disaster: Gas Vs. Solar Generators
What happens if a major disaster shuts down the power grid for several days or weeks? I like the solar option since it'll work even if the gas supply runs out.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Technology and Gadgets