The Dark Web

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: The Dark Web

Postby CactusHugger » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 am

The Hidden Internet- Marianas web
Lots of BS out there about the Deep Web (aka, Dark Web). Depending on the definition used, the Deep Web is generally considered to be huge. Exactly how it compares in size to the surface web is hard to say for sure, but some claim that it's 500 times larger. The problem again is that this is only the case if we apply a rather loose definition of what the Deep Web actually is...
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:17 am

I think some people are reading Creepy Pasta stories and confusing them with real accounts of things actually happening on the Deep Web. That would be fairly easy to do since a lot of Creepy Pasta stories are written as if they actually are real events. People can be easily confused and the stories can be elaborated on and exaggerated a bit through oral re-telling and pretty soon all sorts of urban legends emerge about stuff people have found on the Deep Dark Web. The only problem being that it's all made up.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby a2z » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Local library defies DHS, installs Tor relay
More public libraries should install Tor relays. The authoritarian regime running the USA at this time doesn't like it, but if enough people fight for their freedom, we could regain our status as a free nation.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:37 am

pcslim: That's why I've enjoyed the Moral Panics thread so much. Most things which people obsess about are mostly fantasy mixed with hardly any fact. The Dark Web is a perfect example of an emerging urban legend which is ninety-nine percent hype based on a slim helping of facts. People allow their imaginations to run wild and pretty soon they believe and spread stories about all sorts of craziness and that leads to politicians deciding that something has to be done about an imaginary problem which then leads to even more speculation and paranoid fantasy, otherwise known as a MORAL PANIC.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:13 am

MORAL PANIC: So far I don't think most people are even aware of the Dark Web. It's not something that most people talk about. Only a small number of people are interested and most of those people think it's a good thing. Media reports dealing with it tend to push a narative that it's a bad thing, but so far most people aren't all that concerned. It'll take a few sensational cases to get the public's attention and it's not likely that such cases will be seen as credible even with the news media providing extra spin to make it seem like a serious threat.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:22 am

Drone Enabled Dog Killing Spree
This is from what they call the Dark Web via a friend and so it's probably only partially accurate. The story is that several cities including Los Angeles and Phoenix have been hit by drone enabled dog killing sprees. The way it's done is drones enabled with night vision cameras and containers to carry and deposit liquid are used to drop antifreeze into dog bowls in backyards. Supposedly the total kill count is something in the neighborhood of a couple to three dozen dogs so far with at least as many winding up requiring a trip to the vet. Like I say, I'm not sure of the veracity of this report, but it sounds feasible, although I don't know if a drone could carry much liquid and still get off the ground. To add to the intrigue supposedly this is available as a service for hire on the Dark Web. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap? I'm not sure what the fee would be, but I'm sure there are millions of people across the nation that would be willing to pay good money to eliminate certain loud dogs from their neighborhoods. (Cross posted in drones, neighbors, and dark web threads.)
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:11 am

DRONE ENABLED DOG KILLING SPREE: That's what I'd call a creative use of drones and I think that's the thing that makes the story hard to believe. It's too creative and not likely to work all that well. I seriously doubt that drones are capable of carrying enough antifreeze to kill a dog, first of all. Secondly, I doubt that it's possible to maneuver a drone precisely enough to drop the antifreeze into a dog bowl, particularly in the dark. And finally, it's unlikely that a dog is going to drink enough of the antifreeze laced water to kill it. So, entertaining story, but it doesn't pass the reality test. Sorry.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:27 pm

Browse anonymously from a USB stick
Here's a commercial product which comes loaded with a version of the Tor browser. It's intended to make it easy to browse anonymously.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dilbert » Tue May 24, 2016 8:37 am

This word of caution for those who wish to explore the Deep Web: Just because you are using a Tor browser does not mean that you are completely safe and anonymous. A number of methods exist which can defeat Tor. There are several precautions you can take to further protect your identity. The Tor Project lists a few ideas, but nothing is completely foolproof.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby pcslim » Fri May 27, 2016 6:34 am

dilbert: Caution is always required when one is exploring something like the Dark Web. Not only are there intrusive legal organizations to contend with, but there are also scam artists and hackers who will attempt to hijack your computer. Getting into the Dark Web should not be something one does causually and without proper preparation as the possible consequences are serious.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets