Dietary Supplements

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Dietary Supplements

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:21 am

Forget the Blood of Teens. This Pill Promises to Extend Life for a Nickel a Pop.
Is it a supplement, a nutraceutical, or medication? Who knows, but it is affordable and apparently effective!
The drug in question, metformin, costs about five cents a pill. It’s a slightly modified version of a compound that was discovered in a plant, Galega officinalis. The plant, also known as French lilac and goat’s rue, is hardly the stuff of cutting-edge science. Physicians have been prescribing it as an herbal remedy for centuries. In 1640, the great English herbalist John Parkinson wrote about goat’s rue in his life’s work, Theatrum Botanicum, recommending it for “the bitings or stings of any venomous creature,” “the plague,” “measells,” “small pocks,” and “wormes in children,” among other conditions.

LINK: https://www.wired.com/story/this-pill-promises-to-extend-life-for-a-nickel-a-pop
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Pruvit Keto OS Ketone explained
This is interesting. I'm not convinced, but it is a great sales pitch!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 am

Protein mimics heart benefits of exercise
This is interesting although it won't be available anytime in the near future.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:49 am

The protein the video mentions is called Cardiotrophin 1. Cardiotrophin is already available on Amazon.com. It all sounds like a gimmick to me. Most people get too much protein in their diet. This also does nothing for cholesterol deposits in the arteries as far as I can tell. What I've read was that the body uses cholesterol in an attempt to patch weak arteries and that it's not a bad thing but rather a warning sign that something is wrong and that most people with high cholesterol that take medication to lower it statistically have more chances of a heart attack than if they'd left it alone. Calcium is also a large constituent of plaque yet nobody is saying calcium is bad for you because you need it for your bones. What is ignored is that vitamin K is thought to tell the calcium where to go, taking it from where it doesn't belong and putting it where it is needed. Vitamin D also helps do this but studies have found that vitamin D alone usually increases heart problems. Not helps them. Both D and K need to be taken together in order for D to be of any value. What I don't understand is how the medical community seems to apply different logic to the same concepts about calcium and cholesterol branding one good and the other one as evil. High cholesterol is a sign of stress in the way that fire fighters are a sign of fire but I have found no evidence to date that lowering cholesterol from the diet causes any reduction in the amount of cholesterol in the body or reduces heart disease. It's all base upon faulty logic as far as I can tell. The amount of cholesterol that passes through the arteries and veins is the same yet only arteries accumulate cholesterol on them. This is thought to be because arteries contain lots of oxygen which oxidizes the cholesterol. During bypass surgery, veins are removed from the body and used in place of failed arteries; but they too often become clogged with cholesterol after a while, yet it is unheard of for veins to accumulate cholesterol under any other condition.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:23 am

A Pill to Make Exercise Obsolete
I don't think the pill would make exercise obsolete, but it might help your body to target fat reserves providing that you maintain a sensible diet and exercise routine. The drug is called GW501516 (or 516 for short), but the drug designer warns that it is a likely carcinogen and so it appears that this is a case of too good to be true...
The drug works by mimicking the effect of endurance exercise on one particular gene: PPAR-delta. Like all genes, PPAR-delta issues instructions in the form of chemicals—protein-based signals that tell cells what to be, what to burn for fuel, which waste products to excrete, and so on. By binding itself to the receptor for this gene, 516 reconfigures it in a way that alters the messages the gene sends—boosting the signal to break down and burn fat and simultaneously suppressing instructions related to breaking down and burning sugar.

LINK: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/11/06/a-pill-to-make-exercise-obsolete
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Important: If you are taking D make sure to take vitamin K

Postby surfsteve » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 am

Vitamin D is actually a steroid more than it is a vitamin and helps the body manufacture calcium which is good for building strong bones but what most people don't know is that vitamin K is responsible for telling the vitamin D where to go. Taking vitamin D without vitamin K can result in the vitamin D being deposited as plaque in the arteries instead of in the bones where it belongs leading to artery and heart disease or in the kidneys resulting in kidney stones. Vitamin D also helps counteract depression! Moral of the story: eat plenty of vegetables like your mother told you and get plenty of sunshine; but if you are going to take vitamin D make sure to take vitamin K along with it!

Must Know Data on Vitamins D3 and K2
We've learned a lot about the importance of balancing our vitamin D3 and K2 levels. Find out the best form of vitamin K2, what foods contain it naturally, the difference between vitamins K1 and K2 and why taking D3 without K2 can create dangerous health conditions.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:13 am

surfsteve: Interesting info. I'll have to do more research into the assertions made in this video. They seem reasonable, but anyone can say anything on the internet and so if what she says gets supported by other sources, then I'll probably start taking D2 and K2 supplements. Or maybe I'll just eat more K2 rich vegetables! Thanks for posting!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Dr. Berg's Vitamin K2: and how to use it
This Dr. Berg guy seems to agree with the info posted by surfsteve.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 pm

The Best Vitamin K2 Foods
Natural sources of K2 are the same things many people avoid...
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:30 pm

#1 Food That Causes High Blood Pressure
This guy suggests that high fructose corn syrup is the main cause of the rise in cases of high blood pressure. K2 and D3 might help, but it's even more important to lower intake of simple sugars. At least that's what this guy is saying.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets