Online Ads

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Online Ads

Postby pcslim » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:25 am

How Companies Are Using Geofence Technology to Find New Hires | NBC Nightly News
Not sure if I like the idea of a company tracking my location and then using that info to decide what ads to display on my phone along with certain apps. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does seem a little creepy. I realize that this kind of thing has been going on for a few years, but the example in this news clip is particularly interesting since it led to a job change.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Re: Online Ads

Postby shadylady » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:00 am

I noticed a few years ago that my phone seems to track me while I'm in a store and later that day I wind up with ads which correspond to parts of a store where I spent a little more time. It's as if they have the store mapped out and they keep track of where I am in the store and how much time I spend in each section. I totally agree that that's a little creepy!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:12 am

I've had this conversation with plenty of people. Most have a story about this kind of thing happening. It might be that they were in a certain section of a store and then had ads show up pertaining to items in that section of the store. It could be that they visited a certain park or kind of store or other type of location and then saw relevant ads show up on their phones or when logged into their online accounts. There are all sorts of variations, but it all comes down to being tracked and targeted for advertisements. Definitely creepy!!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:59 am

The navigation app Waze tracks you and will put ads on your phone for businesses along the route you selected and follow.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 pm

The problem with online news algorithms
Sometimes the results are a little surprising...
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:04 pm

Is Facebook eavesdropping on you to sell ads?
I'm absolutely certain that they use the microphone. I've had something very similar to this happen to me only instead of cat food, the topic was tires. I did not click on anything related to tires or do any searches for tires. All I did was talk about tires briefly with my wife and the ads started showing up. Facebook is straight out lying when they deny this accusation!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:03 am

How Machines Learn
It's just like natural selection, but I guess it should be called artificial selection since it's being managed by humans. At any rate, a lot of this kind of stuff going on behind the scenes pertinent to online ads which is why I posted this to this thread.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby recluse » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:02 pm

How much info is Google getting from your phone?
Surveillance capitalism? Even when you're in airplane mode they're still collecting information!
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 am

Cambridge Analytica and your Facebook data: the unethical experiment
The alleged activities attributed to Russia are nothing compared to this! I bet we don't hear much about this after a week or two and that the Russia allegations will continue to dominate the news.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Facebook Can't Stop Racially Discriminating People
Targeting an audience seems efficient, but apparently it's also against the law.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Technology and Gadgets