Death By Soda?

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Death By Soda?

Postby wildrose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 am

How Many People Have Died of Drinking Soda? :eek:
There are a lot of unhealthy things that people can eat, but sugary soda is one of the worst things you can drink. If you're going to drink soda, drink soda that is sugar free. Nutrasweet isn't going to hurt you, so enjoy soda, just skip the sugar! Some other artificial sweeteners include: stevia, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame potassium, and saccharin. Stevia is good for some things, but it doesn't really taste good with certain flavors. At least that's my experience.

Personally, I limit myself to five cans of soda per week and most weeks I don't even drink that much. Most of the time I drink water and sometimes tea or 100% fruit juice (no added sweeteners).
User avatar
wildrose
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: middle of nowhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby surfsteve » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

There is strong evidence to suggest diet soda is worse than soda and actually causes people to crave more sugar.
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby wildrose » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:28 am

surfsteve wrote:There is strong evidence to suggest diet soda is worse than soda and actually causes people to crave more sugar.

I've seen headlines that assert what you're saying, but when you actually think about the studies described in these articles they don't support the assertions made. If someone substitutes calorie free drinks for drinks which are calorie ladden and makes no other changes to one's diet, then one will lose weight (or at least not gain as much depending on total calorie intake). However, if one thinks that one can get away with eating more of something else by switching to calorie free beverages, then one will not see any improvement. It seems that many people take the second option and that's why we wind up with misleading headlines. As for increased cravings, those studies are fundamentally flawed... and then there are those that claim that aspartame (a substance which is made of two naturally occuring amino acids!) is somehow bad for you. My guess is that the sugar (and corn syrup) industry is just paying for bogus studies in order to keep sugar consumption at a high level.
User avatar
wildrose
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: middle of nowhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby surfsteve » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 am

I disagree
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby surfsteve » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 am

Maybe if you're just thirsty you could be correct. But if your energy is low and you drink a diet soda for a pick me up you aren't going to be satisfied with diet soda. I like the video which I didn't watch till today when the girl recommends drinking water. Juices are better than soda in that they contain sugar plus nutrition but in the sugary sense juices are just as bad as sugar. The problem is that most soft drinks are made with high fructose corn syrup. I once read an article that was titled something like sugar is bad but high fructose corn syrup is deadly. On that I totally agree. When I crave to drink something sweet I always reach for Orange Juice (not from concentrate). When I can't afford that I drink lemonade. Since I can no longer pick lemons off trees I buy Real-lemon from the dollar store. I make sure to buy cane sugar because beet sugar (which costs the same) is almost always made from genetically modified beets.
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby wildrose » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:27 am

surfsteve wrote:Maybe if you're just thirsty you could be correct. But if your energy is low and you drink a diet soda for a pick me up you aren't going to be satisfied with diet soda.

By definition, a calorie-free beverage does not provide energy.
User avatar
wildrose
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: middle of nowhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby surfsteve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 am

I was thinking in terms of caffeine. I guess your right on that account. I wonder if anyone has ever come out with a sugar free energy drink.

http://www.energyfiend.com/sugar-free-e ... rink-chart

Gosh. Who knew?
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby cactuspete » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:57 am

wildrose wrote:
surfsteve wrote:Maybe if you're just thirsty you could be correct. But if your energy is low and you drink a diet soda for a pick me up you aren't going to be satisfied with diet soda.

By definition, a calorie-free beverage does not provide energy.
surfsteve wrote:I was thinking in terms of caffeine. I guess your right on that account. I wonder if anyone has ever come out with a sugar free energy drink.

http://www.energyfiend.com/sugar-free-e ... rink-chart

Gosh. Who knew?

It appears that what we have here is an apparent disagreement which is merely a difference based on how one defines energy. WildRose appears to be defining energy in scientific terms. That is, work requires energy and calories are a unit of measure indicating how much energy is stored in a food source. SurfSteve is equating the effect of a chemical which stimulates the central nervous system with energy. That's a very different concept. Stimulants do not deliver calories. Therefore, they do not provide energy despite the fact that drinks which contain stimulants may be referred to by companies that produce such drinks as "energy drinks." Sometimes disagreements are a by-product of different ways a concept may be defined. Switching definitions in the middle of an argument is also a technique sometimes used to appear to win a debate. Words can be such slippery things and the people who use them can be even slipperier!!!
:laugh:
User avatar
cactuspete
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:14 am
Location: The Boonies

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby surfsteve » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:34 am

My original point was that diet soft drinks are worse that sugary ones. I would have put up some links but didn't think it worth my time.
You know why single men live longer than married men? Because they want to.
surfsteve
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am
Location: everywhere

Re: Death By Soda?

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:58 pm

From salami to soda pop: what does “toxic” really mean?
The section on aspartame (called "Sweeter Than Sin") breaks down the chemistry of aspartame. The only toxic substance released by aspartame is methanol and you'll get more methanol from drinking fruit juice than you will from a soda sweetened with aspartame.
Unless you are consuming a very large amount of aspartame, the quantities of methanol involved aren’t large enough for concentrations in your bloodstream to reach dangerous levels, and your body will break it down. If you have about 555 milligrams per liter of aspartame in a flavored beverage, that equates to about 55 milligrams of methanol per liter of soda, give or take. You can actually get more methanol by drinking fruit juice. Likewise, the methanol from 500 mg of aspartame is about equivalent to the methanol from 8 ounces of vegetable juice, and there’s even more methanol in gin.

LINK: http://puffthemutantdragon.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/from-salami-to-soda-pop-what-does-toxic-really-mean/
User avatar
CactusHugger
Ancient Bristlecone
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:29 am
Location: The Cactus Patch

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest