Physical Fitness

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Physical Fitness

Postby a2z » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Kenyans sweep distance races, Jamaicans sprints: How evolution has shaped elite sports
This article names a couple genes:
The “speed gene” as it’s been dubbed, makes fast-twitch muscles twitch fast. Lacking the ACTN3 protein does not seem to have any harmful health effects but does affect running ability. Scientists conclude that it is almost impossible for someone who lacks the ACTN3 protein to become an elite sprinter. The so-called sprint gene is more common in those of West African descent than in Europeans, according to a study published in the American Journal of Human Genetics. Another gene, known as ACE, has been linked to endurance running.

But athletic performance goes way beyond just a couple genes:
Here are the facts. Dozens of studies have confirmed that genetically linked, highly heritable characteristics such as skeletal structure, the distribution of muscle fiber types (for example, sprinters have more natural fast-twitch fibers, while distance runners are naturally endowed with more of the slow-twitch variety), reflex capabilities, metabolic efficiency, and lung capacity are not evenly distributed among human populations.

LINK: https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/08/14/kenyans-sweep-distance-races-jamaicans-sprints-evolution-shaped-elite-sports/
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:24 am

According to what I've read this is actually true. You are born with a specific number of fast twitch and slow twitch muscle cells. Supposedly you are born with the same number of fat cells too and when you loose weight you don't loose fat cells. The ones you have just get smaller. One theory I've read suggested elite marathon runners may have 80% slow twitch to 20% fast twitch while sprinters have the reverse. This is very controversial. Even if it is true there are photographs of people that have lost hundreds of pounds. There are also people that could hardly get out of bed who've trained themselves to run marathons. It suggest that diet and training account for nearly all of a person's ability to become fit. If you still want to believe it's all in your genes and there is nothing you can do about it I suppose that's your right. Believe it if it makes you feel better but it's not true. You have the ability and the power to change. It's never too late to change the things you can or to stop worrying about the things you can't and just do your best.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:47 am

Should you work out for 30 minutes or an hour?
This video can be summed up as the old quantity (duration) versus quality (intensity) discussion as applied to working out.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:04 am

An intense short 20 minute workout with weights will produce much more definition and grow way more muscles than stretching the same workout over an hour or two at the gym. Stretching out your workout or even lengthening an intense workout for too long will make you pound for pound stronger but it will hinder your muscles from growing. Working out too hard for too long puts too much stress on the body and will also age you faster. Most guys wanting to get big over train. You don't grow while you are working out. You only grow while you are resting in the recovery stage. For the most extreme example, picture a marathon runner vs a sprinter.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:26 am

surfsteve: Anti-cardio propaganda? A snapshot of an old guy who probably isn't an elite marathoner compared to a young, elite sprinter is just a bit misleading. Genetic differences probably account for a lot of what can be seen in the two images, but beyond that neither individual is typical of the groups they represent. One seems to be below average in strength and fitness as compared to other members of his group and the other is well above average as compared to other members of his group. What counts are the actual stats and my guess is that people who do moderate cardio - up to twenty-five miles of jogging a week is what I've read - do the best of any group of fitness enthusiasts.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:17 am

If you want to guess that's your business. If it's propaganda it's not mine. If you image google sprinter vs distance ( https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... SOANS9I4ZA ) you will see a likeness of that photo I posted come up at least 10 times along with many similar photos. I'll admit I probably shouldn't have picked the one with the anti cardio remark but I don't think you should throw the baby out with the bathwater. Which guy do you think does moderate cardio? As someone who jogged moderate distance for years and recently switched to intense 20 minute weight training 2 to 4 times and an hour or two of sprint interval cycling a week I speak from experience. I don't blame you though. I would not have believed it if I had not experienced it myself. If I had to guess (now it's my turn) I would bet that a sprinter doing sprint after sprint with barely enough time to catch his breath between sprints is the one doing moderate cardio. For sure it's not the marathon runner. The same is true of anyone doing set after set of weight training with barely enough rest in between to catch their breath.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Cardio vs HIIT vs Weights: Rebooting Our Research
It may not be so simple as a one size fits all type of situation. For instance, people with different ratios of slow twitch to fast twitch muscles might do better on different training regimens. At any rate, there's a lot of anti-cardio hype as of the last few years, but whether or not the alternatives are as good or better is still an open question and the answer depends on your priorities, situation, genetics, etc.
It appears that steady-state cardio — at any intensity — has been losing the publicity battle to HIIT and other forms of interval training, as well as weight training, in this young 21st century.

BUT...
We found that the majority of studies do in fact conclude that HIIT is equal to or better than cardio for improving overall health and fitness. Case closed? Not exactly: if you look beyond the two-sentence summaries, things aren’t so cut-and-dry.

AND...
The bottom line: If you want to keep your workouts as short as possible and enjoy pushing your limits, then go for HIIT. Stick to a healthy schedule, however, to avoid injury: no more than 3 HIIT workouts weekly, and work on that running form!

If you have the time and prefer slower (but possibly greater) gains, then steady-state cardio is your friend.

LINK:
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2016/06/30/cardio-vs-hiit-vs-weights-rebooting-our-research/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:54 am

Very confusing. There are so many contradictions in that article that it contradicts it's own contradictions. I think the best physical fitness advise comes from Nike: JUST DO IT.

What ever gets you off the couch is good.

Whatever keeps you off the couch is the best.

Maybe just telling people to do high intensity exercise is a bad idea. Most people... Nearly all beginners tend to go overboard. Going overboard with high intensity training is obviously worse than going overboard with sustained cardio... My best advise would be to start slow. The worse thing you can do is over exercise so hard that you can not go to the gym again for two or three days. Or even worse.. two or three weeks or longer.

I think what most people don't understand is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness commonly referred to as DOMS. DOMS is the post traumatic stress syndrome of exercise. When you exercise your body produces adrenaline and endorphins that temporarily mask the tiredness and soreness that you will be feeling anywhere from 12 up to 72 hours later, after you exercise. Realizing this and putting it into practice by anticipating and accounting for it while you are exercising is the key to a long and healthy exercise regimen.

HE WHO EXERCISES AND RUNS AWAY LIVES TO EXERCISE ANOTHER DAY!

Getting off the couch and exercising is easy but staying off the couch requires more than commitment to exercising. It requires commitment to learning to understand your body through trial and error and commitment to using caution and patience. Also like the article briefly touched upon it requires commitment to diet. While the exact percentage is often debated most people seem to conclude that physical fitness is 80% diet and only 20% exercise.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:29 am

Common Workout Mistakes And How To Correct Them
NEWS FLASH: Not only do you need to do the exercises, but you need to do the exercises correctly!
:laugh:
How could that not be obvious?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:20 am

How To Quickly Get a Six Pack
It's not as simple as you might think! :laugh:
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment