Physical Fitness

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Physical Fitness

Postby desertrat » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 am

Female Marines and the 3 pull-up debate :smack:
They're talking about LOWERING the standards!!!! How could you not be able to do THREE freaking pullups? How is it possible to even contemplate the possibility of calling someone a Marine unless they are in reasonable shape. Apparently they're going to have to change their slogan. It used to be "The Few, The Proud, The Marines" and now it will have to be "The Fat, The Out-Of-Shape, The Wimps!" At a minimum males should be required to do TWELVE pullups and females required to do EIGHT pullups. Anything less is not worthy of respect and is a total joke!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Physical Fitness

Postby wildrose » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:46 am

Should obese people pay more taxes? :sun:
I'm completely in favor of obese people paying more taxes. A fat surcharge would be an excellent idea. Those who don't take proper care of themselves should compensate society for their irresponsibility!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 am

Allowing standards to drop to accomodate people who are out-of-shape doesn't seem right. The Marines are looked up to because they have always had high standards. Lowering those standards makes a joke out of the entire organization and is an insult to those who served in the past.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:27 am

How could someone not be able to do three pullups? I've seen little girls do seven! You'd have to be so miserably out of shape to not be able to do three pullups that I'm not sure how you could even qualify to be a girl scout let alone a marine. Lowering the standards is completely and totally unacceptable and I am in complete agreement with desertrat when it comes to the number that should be required.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:35 pm

3 pull ups? If you only use one arm maybe!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:33 pm

This test could predict how long you will live :cool2:
At first I scored 7 and then 8, but after I practiced I was able to score a ten. It's not that hard once you get used to it.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:45 am

I just tried the test. It's super easy. I can do it with one foot but only on my right side. My left foot needs a tiny bit of help from my right foot or a finger when I first start to get up on the left foot only. Magnesium is good for the heart. It makes your heart beat smoother and most people are lacking it. I take magnesium taurate which is doubly good along with forskolin to ensure a healthy heart. Some people also take forskolin for weight loss because it also speeds up your metabolism and causes you to burn fat; making it the only diet pill I know of that is actually good for your heart instead of being bad for it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:36 am

CoolChick: You're right! With a little practice I was able to score a nine. I needed to use a hand to push off the ground on the way up, but that was it. I think I could score a ten if I worked on it for a couple weeks. Having said that, I don't think the test is good for telling you anything that you didn't already know or that couldn't be tested for in a lot of different ways.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:57 am

That test is kind of hard on the knee joints too. As far as it being a test of anything other than how to get up off the floor I don't take it seriously.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:13 am

It was a cinch and I'm not even in very good shape, but I did do a lot of gymnastics when I was a child. Maybe that helps my sense of balance. I could see older people having difficulty with that maneuver though and people with bad knees or hips wouldn't probably be able to do it at all.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment