Dinosaurs of Rock and Roll

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: David Bowie

Postby shadylady » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:19 am

It's the terror of knowing what this world is about. Indeed. Mercury and Bowie gave the world so many wonderful songs, but Under Pressure is a treasure that has inspired millions and that will continue to inspire millions in the future.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Dinosaurs of Rock and Roll

Postby recluse » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Extremist All Want To Ride The Bowie Bus
Both Alex Jones and TYT did a vlog about Bowie. Both kind of pushed their own agendas with what they had to say, but the TYT vlog was slightly less offensive than the Alex Jones vlog. But rather than post either of those half-assed clips, I'll just let the man speak for himself...
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby a2z » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:47 pm

10 Brilliantly Bizarre David Bowie Videos
This is a great list of interesting Bowie videos that are all worth checking out:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6836438/david-bowie-music-videos-best
Best of the bunch... maybe?
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 pm

DAVID BOWIE & LOU REED - Queen Bitch :smokin:
Here's one of my favs. This is a pretty good performance and it would have been great if Lou Reed would have been up to it.
If she said that she can do it, then she can do it, she don't make false claims!
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: David Bowie

Postby wildrose » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:28 am

Reportedly David Bowie videos have received over 200 MILLION views on YouTube in the last couple days. The most viewed of the bunch is Under Pressure. There are few recording artists as highly thought of as David Bowie. As a side-effect of all the attention on Bowie videos, Queen videos have also received a surge in views, which isn't surprising at all.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Ashes To Ashes
There were so many impressive songs by David Bowie. This is just one of them. BTW, if you look at the stats on this one there's a TWO MILLION view spike this last few days. It would be interesting to see an exact view count for all David Bowie videos for the last week on YouTube. The number posted by wildrose sounds reasonable, but it would not surprise me in the least if it were considerably higher than 200M.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:32 am

Rock Legends Attend Historic Concert in Cuba
It's only rock n roll, but I like it...
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby whiskeypete » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:12 am

I heard something about Lep Zep getting sued for plagarizing another song to get the opening part of Stairway To Heaven. I'm not sure of the details, but it has something to do with the opening chords and the defense is that the chord progression used is a commonly used chord progression. Most songs sound similar to some other song and so I'm not sure if anyone can claim to be completely original when it comes to writing pop songs, but I guess it's up to a judge or jury to decide how close is too close.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby JanuaryJones » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:43 am

Lots of songs sound similar and lots of bands that toured together wind up with songs that sound like songs by each other. Just as with Spirit and Led Zeppelin, the same is true with Jethro Tull and the Eagles. They toured together and the Eagles wound up writing a song with the same chord progression and similar in other ways to one by Jethro Tull. The song by the Eagles is Hotel California and the original song by Jethro Tull never got very popular.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby desertrat » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:03 am

Jury To Decide Whether 'Stairway To Heaven' Riff Is Ripoff
JanuaryJones wrote:Lots of songs sound similar and lots of bands that toured together wind up with songs that sound like songs by each other. Just as with Spirit and Led Zeppelin, the same is true with Jethro Tull and the Eagles. They toured together and the Eagles wound up writing a song with the same chord progression and similar in other ways to one by Jethro Tull. The song by the Eagles is Hotel California and the original song by Jethro Tull never got very popular.

The key difference here is that in the case of "Hotel California" the entire song is based musically on a song by Jethro Tull. In this Spirit case we're only talking about a short section of the song. However, whereas Ian Anderson has the humility and understanding to realize that a lawsuit would be inappropriate, the sister of the deceased in this case is just trying to get credit for her brother. She may be clueless and lack musical understanding, but her heart is in the right place.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment