Geoglyphs

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Geoglyphs

Postby surfsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:37 am

Marree Man, is a modern geoglyph discovered by air on 26 June 1998
Odd that google maps censors the Marree man from their website.

I'm going to have to check out that Yandex maps the guy mentions in this next video.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Geoglyphs

Postby surfsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:45 am

Apparently Yandex is the Russian equivelent of Google

I never heard of http://www.yandex.com till today.

wow!

https://maps.yandex.com/

Wonder how long it will be till Obama censors Yandex in the USA.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:58 am

Yandex is a Russian Internet company which operates the largest search engine in Russia with about 60% market share in that country. It also develops a number of Internet-based services and products. Wikipedia

I just set Yandex as my home page in Firefox. I will let you guys know if or how long it takes me to switch back to Google.

I wonder how Yandex video compares to google video.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:25 am

:smack: 29°31′48″S 137°27′56″E

I had no problem finding it on Google Earth. It is there not censored and not enhanced.

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:00 pm

I don't see Marree man in google maps but when you paste you coordinates 29°31′48″S 137°27′56″E into Yandex maps it's there plain as day and does not look enhanced.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:41 pm

It's part of the grand conspiracy
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:56 pm

I think those guys are on to something. Why carry buckets of white paint all the way up a mountain year after year for just one letter?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:56 am

Yandex: Yep, use it from time to time, but throw too many search terms at it in too short of a time and it will accuse you of sending them automated search requests. Apparently their servers can't handle the kind of load that Google handles. Not exactly a world class operation.

Glyphs: What I've heard is that Google censors out some features on their maps at the request of the park service and environmental groups. This may be an inaccurate rumor, but supposedly the idea is to keep lots of people from finding certain "sensitive" sites.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:59 am

Yeah. I was already fed up with Yandex after not being able to configure it to return more than ten results and then I got that thing accusing me of being a bot. I'm over it. I do like the fact that they don't censor their maps which indicates me to believe that they may not sensor their web searches either so maybe I'll use it next time I suspect I am looking up something that may be censored. Other wise Google has them beat. I do like the way they integrate their services and if it only returned more results and didn't think I was a bot I'd probably keep using it as my main search engine. I also like the fact that it goes to google at the bottom of the page, just by clicking on it, without having to re enter the results into google. That was pretty nice.

I guess Marree Man is like Trona's Fish Rocks in that they were both created by acts of vandalism. I suppose a hundred foot wide 25 mile long road destroying everything in it's path is a little excessive to be called art too. I suppose if we made one out on the dry lake bed of Trona somebody would probably complain as well. Though maybe not. It's not like there is any vegetation out there!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:31 am

It might be a fun project to make some backyard glyphs to see how long it takes for them to show up on Google (or Yandex). A lot of people in Trona have big, empty backyards. It seems that it ought to be possible to scratch out some kind of design that will be visible from up above!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring