Do Supplements Cause Cancer?

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Do Supplements Cause Cancer?

Postby shadylady » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:52 am

Are Bodybuilders At Higher Risk For Testicular Cancer?
The answer to my general question is NO, BUT there are certain supplements that probably do. The culprits in this study seem to be creatine and androstenedione (two supplements commonly taken by bodybuilders). The study was correlational, but the numbers point in the direction of creatine and androstenedione. On top of that the mechanism by which these supplements work suggests that they may well be the culprits. Of course, more studies will be needed to prove the link between them and cancer.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Do Supplements Cause Cancer?

Postby desertrat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:51 am

What I've heard is that creatine in large amounts is bad for the kidneys, but that it's a substance that is contained in various naturally occurring foods. The androstenedione is probably more likely to cause cancer than the creatine. Messing around with the endocrine system probably is not a good idea.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:00 am

Both creatine and androstenedione are complete garbage in my opinion. Worse than that are the muscle milk shakes composed of sugary artificially flavored goop. The egg is natures perfect body building food. It contains everything needed to turn a tiny speck into a fully developed chick in just a few short weeks. Most supplements are garbage and do more harm than good but that doesn't mean you should throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:17 am

EGG PROTEIN: I have a friend who eats a lot of egg whites, but his rule is no more than three yolks per week. I don't know how he came up with that rule, but he throws a lot of yolks down the drain as a result. I think he's right that there's tons of protein in egg whites and the yolks do contain some potentially unhealthy lipids if he were to eat too many of them and so I suppose his rule makes sense although it does seem wasteful to me. As for protein powders and shakes, my guess is that some are pretty good and others not so much.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:34 am

A lot of people think that consuming egg whites and throwing away the yolk is the way to go. Egg whites are pure protein. Many people that eat a lot of egg whites develop a biotin deficiency which can be corrected by taking a biotin aka vitamin aka b7 supplement. Vitamin b7 deficiency can also lead to graying and hair loss. The reason your friend limits himself to 3 yolks a week is probably due to the cholesterol. Many doctors believe cholesterol is bad because people that have heart attacks tend to have high cholesterol levels. This is a fallacy. The body produces cholesterol to fight stress. Cholesterol is not the problem. It is a sign. There is no evidence that lowering cholesterol with drugs or even diet, reduces heart attacks and lots to indicate that the reverse is actually true. Furthermore the body needs cholesterol and you can't live without it. Cholesterol is a sterol and sterol's are the building blocks of steroids. The leading cause of heart attack is magnesium deficiency. I would guess that nearly everyone that has had a heart attack had low levels of magnesium at the time. The best form of magnesium is magnesium taurate.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:48 am

I'd be willing to bet that most herbal supplements cause any number of diseases including cancer. You take your ginseng, ephedra, saw palmetto, ginkgo, echinaceae, st johnswort, and black cohosh and I bet they're all a waste of money and maybe even worse. It's that new age crap that makes people spend money on useless crap like this herbal stuff.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:15 am

Only 7 herbs on the wiki titled "List of herbs with known adverse effects" are mentioned as carcinogenic or potentially carcinogenic. Oddly enough tobacco was not on the list. I think you're barking up the wrong tree when it comes to trying to blame supplements in general for cancer; though I'm sure if you look hard enough you will eventually find some that do. Honestly? I think the main cause of cancer is sugar. The main ingredient in placebos... You may be onto something!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_he ... se_effects
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:23 am

surfsteve: Although it may be the case that processed sugar is a carcinogen, it probably does not rank very high on the list of substances which are known to cause cancer. Obviously pesticides, various industrial and household chemicals, and other toxic substances are going to be the highest ranking items on such a list. As for food items, I'd imagine that denatured fats, various perservatives and possibly other agents which alter the texture or stability of food, as well as foods high in nitrates are the worst. I'm sure there are a few other categories that outrank sugar that I should include, but the point is that sugar is probably not that big of an issue and that obesity is likely to be an issue before cancer is an issue.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:02 am

I guess I feel that way not because sugar is so bad but because we eat so much of it. The average person eats over 300 pounds of sugar a year. I don't think we were designed to eat that much. When you add that up with all the wheat and other carbohydrates it's enough to cause problems with just about anyone.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:32 am

More evidence antioxidants can be dangerous, likely raise cancer risk
I'm not sure if this is credible or not, but it does provide some basis for questioning whether or not the hype surrounding antioxidants is based on good science or pure quackery.
Antioxidant hype was never really based on science. A handful of studies in the early ’90s suggested that people will low intake of fruits and vegetables known to be high in antioxidants were at greater risk for cancer, and the supplement industry went all out in selling the idea (it’s still going all out). Follow up studies, however, focused on individual antioxidant compounds and found not much benefit. These were easily drowned out by a towering wave of antioxidant hype.

LINK: http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/10/20/evidence-antioxidants-can-dangerous-likely-raise-cancer-risk/
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment