Children's Online Privacy Protection Act

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Children's Online Privacy Protection Act

Postby mrgreen » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:43 pm

What YOUTUBE's Not Telling You About COPPA
This is insanity. If what this guy says is true, then there is no such thing as freedom left in this country. This is something you might expect in China or Iran or some other backward country. But no, this is the USA. And it's all being done SUPPOSEDLY in the name of protecting children.... SUPPOSEDLY.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Children's Online Privacy Protection Act

Postby ergot » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:16 pm

COPPA and FTC are after my animations
The FTC has a list of things to consider to determine if content is aimed at kids, but those factors are incredibly vague. They are so vague that almost anything can be considered to be directed at kids. Are all animations directed at kids? If a video has a thumbnail that is eye-catching and is attractive to kids, does that mean that the video is aimed at kids? The ridiculousness of what is being proposed is beyond bizarre. ABSOLUTELY INSANE would still be an understatement.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: COPPA

Postby drdesert » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 am

Although YouTube paid the FTC a huge fine, I think that's really just a way of obscuring the underlying reality. Both the FTC and YouTube favor democrats and this new set of rules makes it easy for YouTube to delete videos and discourage people from posting videos they don't like. The FTC is the heavy hand that will impose a fine of up to 43K DOLLARS per video. Republicans have been incredibly effective at using memes to get their message across, but videos featuring memes can be improperly construed as being aimed at children. I think anyone can see what's really going on here....
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby pcslim » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:17 am

The theory that the FTC and YouTube are teaming up and that the big fine was just a diversion actually makes sense. We know that democrats will stop at nothing to try to block the re-election of Trump and there's absolutely no doubt that they will use any strategy available to prevent him from winning in 2020. YouTube needs an excuse to silence conservative voices and the FTC provides the perfect means to do so. This might result in new video sharing websites, but probably not. YouTube has been losing money for years and only manages to continue to exist because Google foots the bill. This gives YouTube a huge amount of power and this partnership with the FTC will amplify that power a thousandfold.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 am

So after watching last nights debates and following the impeachment hearings do you really think Trump will loose to any of the candidates the dem's through out there. I don't think the promise of legal weed can do it.Now free legal weed might get me thinking.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:23 pm

Morgz is CANCELLED.
PewDiePie provides a highly intelligent discussion of COPPA in this video. It is worth watching all the way through.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby drdesert » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:42 am

mrgreen: PewDiePie makes several excellent points in the video you posted. It was just a year or two ago that YouTube cracked down on edgy videos and now it seems that they are cracking down on family friendly videos. That leaves very little room for much of anything thanks to these new rules. Hopefully the FTC and YouTube back off and create reasonable rules which are easily understood and which allow people some room for creativity.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:13 am

The idea that YouTube and the FTC are teaming up to conspire against independent video creators makes more sense than the rules as I understand them because the rules make absolutely no sense. I've read the new policy and watched a couple of the videos that YouTube put out, plus I've watched the videos posted here and this whole move is so bizarre that I'm wondering what planet I'm on. This can't be earth. It seems like an alternative reality where logic is completely irrelevant!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:09 pm

COPPA INSIDER Update!!! What MORE YouTube Is HIDING
YouTube is giving creators only two choices, but the FTC recognizes three choices. Why is YouTube doing this?
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby pcslim » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:42 pm

recluse: I know that YouTube supplies analytics which provide a breakdown of who watches videos by age group. Wouldn't that be sufficient to deduce the audience for each video? I know that users don't always tell the truth about their age, but that's not the fault of YouTube or video creators and so why should they be the ones who suffer?
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Next

Return to Recreation and Entertainment