End Tax Exempt Status for Churches

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: End Tax Exempt Status for Churches

Postby shadylady » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:05 am

desertrat wrote:Anti-Westboro Baptist Church Petitition Crushes Records
Religious organizations should pay taxes just like any other organization. By not requiring them to pay taxes the government is providing support or subsidizing their existence. The government is not supposed to promote religion! The government is only supposed to protect the freedoms of individuals to participate in religious activities.
:mad2:

I couldn't agree more! I don't think I should be forced to subsidize organizations that I consider to be evil and by exempting these organizations we are in effect being forced to subsidize their existence!!!
:soap:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:39 pm

Fox News: Westboro Baptist Church is Left-Wing Cult
You've got to be kidding! There is no universe in which this makes any kind of sense. This proves without a doubt that Fox "News" is full of crap!!!
:smack:
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:03 am

I've seen a similar graph, but without the circle part. I think the circle is misleading since it suggests there is a lot of similarity between neo-cons and progressives. Also the use of the word Anarchy is misleading and it should be replaced with the word Liberty. Libertarians are in favor of a minimal set of laws, not what most people think of as Anarchy.

Here's what I'm talking about:
Neo-cons would be in the middle of the blue zone and progressives would be in the middle of the pink zone. The folks at the Westboro Baptist Church would be up in the upper right corner of the blue zone (no where near the progressives!!!).
Test yourself at politicalcompass.org!!!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby James Sel » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 am

Are we Talking about the Nolan chart? Want to take the test/survey ?

http://www.nolanchart.com/survey.php

The chart places me as a centrist but I like to consider myself as a realist. I think more Americans are in the center than the media lets on. we rarely left or right.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

End Tax Exempt Status for Churches

Postby desertrat » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Anti-Westboro Baptist Church Petitition Crushes Records
Religious organizations should pay taxes just like any other organization. By not requiring them to pay taxes the government is providing support or subsidizing their existence. The government is not supposed to promote religion! The government is only supposed to protect the freedoms of individuals to participate in religious activities.
:mad2:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Actually it makes perfect sense if there is any truth that the extreme right and left are virtually the same thing and the whole thing goes around in a circle like the way I was taught in school. Do they still teach this?
I'm just using this as an example. The chart in my social studies book did not mention libertarians or neocon progressives but otherwise looked the same.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

In either case I don't agree. I spent 8 years criticizing Bush and being called a liberal. Now that I'm criticizing Obama the same people are calling me right wing. Left and right are just tools used by politicians to divide and conquer.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

surfsteve wrote:In either case I don't agree. I spent 8 years criticizing Bush and being called a liberal. Now that I'm criticizing Obama the same people are calling me right wing. Left and right are just tools used by politicians to divide and conquer.

I completely disagree! If you criticize both Bush and Obama for the same reason then you probably have Libertarian leanings since both of them would be placed near the top of the chart since they both have Authoritarian tendencies. In fact, 90% of those in office have Authoritarian leanings. In fact, despite the slogan that this is the land of the free, it's actually the case that most citizens have a strong authoritarian mindset. Our leaders seem to feel that the best way to solve social problems is to make laws regulating the behavior of individuals. This is about the most repugnant way of dealing with social problems known, but those who do not love freedom always want to make more laws regulating the behavior of individual citizens.

On the other hand, if you criticize Bush and Obama for different reasons, then you are probably a moderate conservative since that would put you in between those two. Obama is pretty much middle-of-the-road in terms of Liberalism vs. Conservatism and Bush is further to the right.

Most TV news shows never talk about Authoritarianism vs Libertarianism. They seem oblivious to this dimension in political thought. All you ever hear about on TV is Liberalism vs Conservatism which does not account for a whole heck of a lot without the other dimension!!!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:01 am

Teen Girl's Ridiculous Anti-Gay Rap
She probably means well, but she's so incredibly stupid. I feel a cringe of embarrassment for her as I watch the clips of this horrendous spoken-word quasi rap monstrosity!
:smack:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:00 am

The 'Criminalize Blowjobs' Candidate for Governor
This seems a bit strange, but apparently there are still people like this around. Great comment left by someone:
Religious fundamentalism is a mental disorder. For real. Not joking. Its a real mental disorder, (several actually) they are just afraid to list it in the DSMv as such because the cults have gotten so big.

shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to News and Issues