Designer Babies

Computers, internet, mobile devices, software, cameras, gadgets, etc.

Re: Designer Babies

Postby mrgreen » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:28 pm

For the First Time, Researchers Can Genetically Modify Human Embryos
This is something that hasn't been allowed before and if successful it could open the gates to even more interesting research and possibly manipulation of the human genone!
The UK has given researchers at the Francis Crick Institute permission to edit the genes of early-stage human embryos. This is huge news, not only in genetics and biology fields, but for science as a whole. No other researcher has ever been granted permission to perform gene editing on viable human embryos before.

LINK: https://futurism.com/for-the-first-time-researchers-can-genetically-modify-human-embryos/
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dilbert » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 am

mrgreen: OMG The future will be filled with perfect Barbie and Ken clones. Us ugly people will become extinct since everyone will want the perfect baby. What a horrible future filled with only healthy and attractive individuals. Horrors of horrors!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:26 am

Where CRISPR technology could lead, if we let it
We have the technology, but should we do it? And if we don't do it here in the USA, will they do it somewhere else? If they do (and we don't), will we wind up falling further and further behind technologically?
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Scientists Grow Lamb in Artificial Womb for Second Time
I wonder if at some point pregnancy will be optional...
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Designer Babies
Not seeing anything wrong with designer babies. In fact, it seems like a good idea. Logically speaking, of course.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Parthenogenesis - Shriekback - Nemesis
I always understood this song as a condemnation of playing god through the use of science and in particular I thought that the lyricist was critical of experimenting with reproductive techniques. The song was written back in the 1980s and so many of the scientific lines of research we are familiar with now were unknown to the general public at that time. I like the song, but reject any notion that scientific research into reproductive techniques is wrong.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:32 am

recluse: I can't stand the song, but I get what you're saying. It seems like they object to scientific inquiry and are warning people not to "play god" so to speak. I had to look up parthenogenesis and that's probably a reference to the idea of cloning or possibly chimeras although that's not exactly completely spelled out in the song. It's like the Middle Ages but with a 1980s attitude. I don't recall ever hearing of that band, but then again I'm not a fan of that style of music.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Parthenogenesis - Shriekback - Nemesis

Postby pcslim » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:37 am

recluse: Intriguing song and I think it's right to view the song as a protest or warning against "playing god." Specifically I think the person who wrote the lyrics is worried about the implications of genetic modification or the creation of genetic chimeras or transgenesis. Although parthenogenesis is not the appropriate term for any of this, it's close enough since it and other elements of the video imply genetic modification and also they suggest a concern about methods of reproduction including the possibility of an artificial womb. All of this is very pertinent to this thread and of intense scientific interest. As for the symbolism used in the video, there are a number of interesting examples, but the one that struck me the most occurs between 36 seconds and 39 seconds. What we see is a scroll (probably containing sacred information) being over-written by a staining substance. This is quite reminiscent of early forms of the process of gel electrophoresis and the symbolism would imply that genetic science is over-writing religious belief and for many this is the case. Genetic science not only has caused many to doubt religious mythology, but it also creates methods to genetically modify organisms and other biological advances suggest that an artificial womb is not too far away. All this falls into the category of "playing god" in the mind of the person who wrote the lyrics.

Although I disagree with the message of the song, I find it intriguing and enjoyable, much like "Put Out The Fire" by Queen. Compelling presentation often trumps an agreeable message. In fact, I often deplore presentations with a message I agree with because they are poorly executed or seem to be pandering. I prefer to be challenged rather than to be placated!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Intriguing and possibly prophetic. Parthenogenesis means development of an embryo from an unfertilized egg. That actually can happen in the case of some organisms. With cloning an egg is not actually fertilized by a sperm cell. Instead the nucleus of the egg is removed and the nucleus from a donor cell is put into the egg and along with a little more manipulation an organism can develop. This process works with mammals and may have already been successful with humans. It also appears that reproduction in mammals may soon be possible without the need for an egg cell. That would be like parthenogenesis, only more extreme. On top of that we already have humanized pigs and other animals being developed as a potential source for organ transplants.

The attitude of scorn and condemnation conveyed by the song and the video reminds me of the attitude the Catholic church took towards science in general in an attempt to protect Catholic dogma. The snuffing out of the flame at about 0:43 seems to suggest that it would be better to snuff out scientific progress than to further encroach on religious dogma and risk offending some supreme being. It goes without saying that the song is very ambiguous and like the works of Nostradamus it is ambiguous enough to allow for a multitude of interpretations. It also goes without saying that both the song and the video were carefully constructed and show evidence of sincere artistic intent as opposed to the usual cheap commercially calculated creations of the music industry.

Most countries have enacted a multitude of laws placing limits on genetic manipulation of humans and on cloning and related technologies. Needless to say, if artificial wombs become a viable technology, access to them will be limited. Ethicists have seen to it that society is protected from misuse of these technologies and, of course, ethicists also are alarmed by issues surrounding the debate about designer babies. This song may have been one of the earliest attempts in pop culture history (especially when it comes to pop music) to warn people of the potential dangers of dabbling in technologies which could impact the integrity of the human genome. The movie GATTACA didn't come out until 1997. This song was published in 1985.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dilbert » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:18 am

Geeeez! That song is 35 years old! I had never heard it before, but I have to admit that it is not exactly your typical song or typical video and it definitely is about an unusual topic. Thanks.... I guess.... for bringing it to my attention?
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Technology and Gadgets