TJUSD Board Meeting - August 10, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - August 10, 2017

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:07 pm

This was a relatively short meeting. Only employees and board members were present.
TJUSD BASIC INFO: http://www.blackturtle.us/TTA/

ITEMS OF INTEREST:
1) Trisha Funke has resigned from her position as a board member. This will result in an opening and a person must be selected to fill the vacancy. Interested individuals are invited to turn in a letter of interest at the district office. Letters will be accepted until August 18th. The remaining four members of the board will review letters on August 22. If necessary, interviews will be held after that.
2) A board member suggested that a large shade structure be built over the elementary playground equipment. She stated that Ridgecrest schools have such structures and she sees no reason why such a structure could not be built here in Trona.
3) ASB Retreat - High school ASB officers along with the HS principal, district superintendent, etc. attended a retreat where students received training on how to be effective members of the Associated Student Body leadership group.
4) The superintendent outlined activities for staff orientation days (August 16-18). Included were several meetings, staff training sessions, and time for teachers to prepare classrooms. First day of school for students: August 21.
5) Preschool Expansion - The preschool director requested that the preschool program be expanded to accommodate all preschool age students in the community who would like to participate. It has been necessary to use a waiting list in the past and this year the number of preschool age children is higher than in recent years. In order to expand the program permission must be obtained from the relevant county regulatory agency and a qualified aide must be hired.
6) Several employment related issues were dealt with. The board approved all.
7) 300 library books were declared as surplus.
NEXT REGULAR MEETING: September 7, 2017
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - August 10, 2017

Postby twister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:05 am

I WANT TO GO TO YOUR SCHOOL (and have a geography bee) CONTEST (Geography Now!)
Interesting event. Lots of interesting info about the local area to include in the video for the contest.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 am

Dollar Store Organization & Haul Back to School deals from Hollar!
Great deals! Probably the prices at WallyWorld are just as good, but saving money is a good thing one way or the other.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:12 am

WHY I CAN'T BE A TEACHER // Grace Helbig
I think most people would totally fail as teachers, but not for the same reasons listed in this video.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:30 am

Teachers crowdfund to supply classrooms
Looking through the latest board agenda I notice that the district took in $4M in Potash Royalties this last year and that happens to be an all-time record for TJUSD. I hope teachers working for TJUSD don't have to pay a penny for classroom supplies!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 am

wildrose: Where did you find the info about the potash royalties?
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am

tronagirl wrote:wildrose: Where did you find the info about the potash royalties?

If you look at the first post to this thread you will see this link:
http://www.blackturtle.us/TTA/
On that page you will see a link labeled AUGUST BOARD MEETING AGENDA. Click that link and you'll get to this document:
http://www.blackturtle.us/TTA/BMGEN_AUG17.pdf
Scroll down to page 29 and you'll see the info about royalty payments.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 am

School video shows young boy with autism dragged down a hallway by teachers
Interesting comments on this one:
Oh boohoo. I'm 30, Autistic, and have put myself thru a Chef's apprenticeship....Why? Because I had teachers like this that didn't put up with my shit and set me straight. Sometimes all you need is a good smack across the head. I did some stupid shit in grade school, and went toe to toe with teachers, throwing tables and chairs at them.

So what you expect them to do? You ever been around one of these kids when they have an outburst? Which they have often? You try controlling one of them, good luck. Not to be mean but their like wild animals. You wanna run the other way from.

if the child was black that school would have been on fire and the teachers wouldn't have got a paid vacation.

Put them in a special school where they belong instead of endangering teachers and other students with their presence.

Little retard causing trouble in school - needs to be tased and held in solitary confinement for half a day!

CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:14 am

CrustyOldFart: I've seen worse. In fact, back when I first started teaching kids were still spanked at school. Seldom did children disrupt class to the point where they had to be physically removed, but I do recall seeing kids who were fighting on the playground handled pretty roughly by male teachers back in the 1970s. Also special ed kids weren't mainstreamed until much later in my career and so kids like the one shown in the video weren't mixed in with regular students which also helped keep schools more orderly with fewer behavior issues.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:44 pm

15 Most Inappropriate Kids Books Ever
I wonder how many of these books are in the children's section of local public libraries or the libraries at local schools.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News