Gas Prices

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Gas Prices

Postby ergot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:11 pm

How Tropical Storm Harvey will impact California gas prices
I had no idea that California was so self-sufficient when it came to gasoline. Makes sense though. Californians drive more than just about anybody and so our economy would come to a crashing halt if the supply of petrol were to run out!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:26 am

Latest reports are that Hurricane Harvey has already caused the nationwide average price for a gallon of gas to increase by a few cents. If oil refineries along the Texas coast remain closed for any length of time the price could go up substantially. No shortages are in the forecast at this point, but if complications should develop due to damage not detected at this point, the worst case scenario is pretty bad. Not that the worst case scenario is very likely, but you never know.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:27 am

I wonder if Irma will compound the problem caused by Harvey. I'd expect that if so that the east coast would be impacted more heavily than the west coast, but any impact anywhere will cause a ripple effect across the country and probably in other countries as well. I've noticed an increase in the price of gas already, but I have some apprehension about how much higher it could go.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:11 am

So far I haven't noticed much of a change in gas prices. I think maybe twenty cents per gallon at most and that's about it. If no other hurricanes hit in the next several weeks, then prices will probably return to normal soon enough, but another big one hitting an area critical to gas production could be a problem.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:12 am

Gas "Shortage" Caused by Manufactured Fear, NOT Reality
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:31 am

Effort to repeal gas tax underway
I'm actually in favor of taxing based on usage. The state must raise funds one way or the other and those who burn the most gas should pay the most tax. That incentivizes the use of efficient vehicles and encourages people to plan their trips judiciously.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:23 am

mrfish wrote:Effort to repeal gas tax underway
I'm actually in favor of taxing based on usage. The state must raise funds one way or the other and those who burn the most gas should pay the most tax. That incentivizes the use of efficient vehicles and encourages people to plan their trips judiciously.

I would like to see the State audit where the current tax money is being used. Verify that there is no waste. Hard to believe a State this big with so much going on doesn't have areas that can be cut and money spent wiser. Then come back and ask for more money if needed. Then again we know that won't happen, the voters don't want that to happen. I know the voters want to pay more taxes without questioning why or where all the other tax money is going. I know because they keep voting the same type of people to office.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby recluse » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Could California say bye to gas-powered cars?
Forty percent in thirteen years? Maybe, but mostly along the coast.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:13 pm

California Gas Tax Increase Kicks Off Wednesday
Get ready to pay more! I like the idea of fixing roads and so I have to admit there is a need. There's no doubt that we pay too much for road repair. CalTrans crews tend to be two-thirds goldbrickers. They pay three people for every one person needed to get the job done. It's basically a publicly financed pretend to work program.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 am

You will have to get a new ID soon; Here’s why ...
On top of recent gas tax increases, they now want you to fork out even more money for an enhanced driver's license! It would have made more sense to require the upgrade over the course of a four to six year cycle, but no... we can always count on the leaders in this country to do things in the stupidest way possible!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News