Poison Canyon

Share information or ask questions about the history of Searles Valley and nearby locations.

Re: Poison Canyon

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:41 am

desertrat: My thoughts exactly! Great minds think alike. I'd be in favor of a clean up crew just going in and cleaning up the mess. I don't care if it's an official crew or just a bunch of volunteers, but that mess is unsightly!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby whiskeypete » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:21 am

Roadside Memorials
So if you really want to get rid of the memorial, file a complaint. They're supposed to be removed within a couple weeks of receiving the complaint.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:16 am

Roadside Memorials: There should probably be limits set on the form which a roadside memorial can take. Too junky. Too large. Too much of a distraction. Anything that is beyond the limits of good taste should be removed.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:15 am

Who establishes good taste? "I'll know when I see it" won't fly.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am

Generally roadside memorials are not in good taste and so I'd be in favor of removing all of them. As far as I'm concerned anything that eliminates them WILL FLY just fine!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:19 am

I tend to agree with you Ol'Fart. Now are we infringing on ones religious beliefs by not allowing make shift memorials. I don't see how but in many other countries it is practiced. This is not many other countries but there are those here from many other countries who may cry foul. Living in CA all my life I have started to learn that the others have more say in a lot of matters now a days.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby JanuaryJones » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:38 am

It wouldn't be a matter of infringing on anybody's religion. There is no right to place anything on public property that would be based on religious freedom. People from foreign countries don't have any special rights. There's people who come from countries where they believe it's okay to have child brides and they don't get to keep doing it here just because it's part of their religion. So that ain't an argument that holds water.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 am

If you really feel that offended by the memorial file a complaint! Got a feeling that nothing will be done about it because it is probably just a bit too far off the highway and technically on private property. No idea who owns it but it would be interesting to find out.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby JanuaryJones » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Probably not private property. More likely BLM.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby James Sel » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:38 am

IMO, If setting a memorial helps people coup with the loss of a loved one then let them. I'd rather limit any regulations on it so people can do what makes them happy. Removing then after 30 days or a couple of weeks is fine with me. Freedom is for all of us even annoying Christians.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to Local History