Activism and Advocacy versus Academics

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Activism and Advocacy versus Academics

Postby wildrose » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:46 pm

Jordan Peterson on Women's Studies
The proper mission of a university is the pursuit of academic excellence. Many departments at many universities have been hijacked by those more interested in advocating for a cause. Even worse many college areas of study have been created to accommodate various causes. For instance, woman's studies, gender studies, and ethnic studies have little to do with academics and generally have only the goal of advocating for some ideological orthodoxy. Many psychology departments have been infiltrated by advocates and as a result professors interested in academic excellence have been purged. There are even peer review journals which pose as academic publications, but actually exist only to provide the appearance of legitimacy to advocates pretending to be scholars.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Activism and Advocacy versus Academics

Postby tronagirl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:52 am

Top 10 Useless College Degrees and Classes
I think Steely Dan put it best...
The weekend at the college
Didn't turn out like you planned
The things that pass for knowledge
I can't understand

tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:02 am

Are You Ready for 'Feminist Geography'?
It's all obviously ridiculous to most people, but to someone deeply entrenched in the ideology it makes perfect sense! :smack:
You might be wondering what geography, which most people associate with map-making and which is supposed to focus on the physical shape of the earth and its human populations, has to do with feminism. But like the rest of the social sciences, the field of geography is now saturated with fashionable leftist ideology and its impenetrable jargon.

LINK: https://www.weeklystandard.com/charlotte-allen/are-you-ready-for-feminist-geography
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:56 am

The First Rule of Women's Studies Is...
I would be very leery of any class which requires non-disclosure. That's very suspicious and tells me that there are some cult-like aspects to the class. Legitimate academics and non-disclosure requirements generally don't go together.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:21 am

Training a new generation in social justice advocacy
It makes sense for colleges and universities to study advocacy in general. It's a lot like studying law. However, advocating for specific causes is not something that colleges and universities should get involved in. A course in advocacy should use examples in which people have advocated for contradictory causes and analyze what methods work and what methods don't work. It should be a very analytic type of course and hopefully students will come to understand how people with opposing views can feel equally passionate about their very different views.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:31 am

The term “social justice warrior” is very misleading because it only commonly denotes justice for one side. There is no justice in self punishing an entire race for what their ancestors; perhaps not even their ancestors but ancestors who just happen to have the same color of skin were responsible for. We could just as easily call them social IN-justice warriors!

Black racism was at it's peak when JFK was president but as soon as he was assassinated President Johnson took us 180 degrees and instead of being fair and equal our government began discriminating against whites by instituting quotas for hiring minorities. It was a horrible thing being told, just out of high school that “I wish I could hire you. You are very well qualified but you are not the right race and I have to make my quota.” If only we could have simply abolished all terms denoting race and accepted each other as human beings instead, all of us would have been better off. Without JFK we probably would have never put a man on the moon. Imagine what it would have been like had we continued down that path! His assassination was akin to God destroying the Tower of Babel!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:44 pm

The Rise of VICTIMHOOD Culture on Campus - Seeing People as GOOD or EVIL - Jonathan Haidt
A friend shared this with me today. It immediately made me think of this thread. The victimhood culture which has developed in our institutions of higher learning actually debilitates students. They learn all sorts of bad habits which make them ineffective adults.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:25 am

"The Diversity DELUSION" Tucker Interviews the Lovely Heather Mac Donald
Being qualified requires more than just essential training. It also requires INTELLIGENCE!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:35 am

Prof Bashes Covington Kid, ‘Smiling Face Of Whiteness’
This is a great example of someone who is all about advocacy and completely lacking in intellectual acumen. The only way a person like this becomes a professor is to fill a quota. We really don't need our nation dumbed down any further. Pretend professors like this should be relieved of their positions...
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:33 am

Learn To Code
Most mainstream news outlets do not employ legitimate journalists. What they employ are IDEOLOGICAL ACTIVISTS. So, we can see that the same thing that has happened in universities has also happened in the news media.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to News and Issues