Trona 4th of July Earthquake

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Trona 4th of July Earthquake

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:35 am

Tiny Town of Trona Hard-Hit by Magnitude 6.4 Earthquake
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Trona 4th of July Earthquake

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:37 am

Power And Water Out In Trona Following M6.4 Earthquake
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:54 am

These were before the big 6.4 one hit. In one of the videos I posted they said there is a 20% chance that the 6.4 will trigger an even bigger earthquake within the next few days. I was thinking it was more like 1% so that's a pretty significant underestimation!

I'm glad that the power if back on. Lets hope it stays that way. I was woken up about 45 minutes ago by a relatively huge after shock. It was bad enough to set off my car alarm again and knocked a plastic container off a shelf about the dogs food spilling it all over the kitchen but nothing like the big one yesterday morning. Without a doubt this is by far the biggest earthquake I've ever experienced in my lifetime. Relatives have been calling me from all over to make sure I am OK after seeing it in the news. When the big one hit yesterday morning I was in the kitchen slicing meat. At first I thought it was a bomb or an explosion at the plant as everything began falling off the shelves. After about 2 seconds I realized it was an earth quake and began running outside I had to step over everything that was falling with the ground shaking beneath my feet. I'd say the shaking lasted about 12 seconds. In that time I made my way outside and had taken about 4 steps on the concrete before the ground had stopped shaking. My car alarm was going off and when I went back inside I could hear water leaking out the back door. It was coming from a hot water heater behind the apartment next door. One of my neighbors kept getting seizures several hours afterwards. They called the paramedics and took her to Ridgecrest hospital.

It took me about an hour or two to pick up all the stuff that had fallen on the floor and clean up all the broken glass and food. My neighbors down the street also had a pipe break loose on their hot water heater and had to turn their water off. I had every plumbing part imaginable on hand except the one I needed to complete the repairs properly but managed to rig it good enough to be able to bypass the water heater and get the rest of their water back on. It shook bad enough to pull the screws holding the earth quake straps right out of the wall!

4.2 and 3.7 Earth Quake at Trona California (before the big one hit!)
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:44 am

The woman in this video is saying there is only a 5% chance of the 4th of July quake triggering a bigger quake.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 am

My butt is shaking in my chair from another significant after shock while I am posting this. I am more worried about the plant than anything else. When the big one happened there was all kinds of dark smoke coming out of the chimneys for several minutes afterwards and a big release of black dust behind the railroad tracks. I noticed a chemical smell afterwards too but apparently no big tanks ruptured. I imagine we are more at risk of something like that than our homes collapsing if a really big quake occurs after this.

Ridgecrest officials hold (boring) news conference on California earthquakes
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:26 am

Ridgecrest earthquake caught on restaurant surveillance camera
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:07 am

Southern California hit by its largest earthquake in 20 years

California Residents Wondered If Today’s Earthquake Was ‘The Big One’ | NBC Nightly News

Seismologist: 5% chance stronger earthquake to hit California

This guy is saying that the odds that "the big one" will happen in the next 30 years is about 100%. Maybe the one we had in Trona will relieve some of the stress here when that occurs along the San Andreas fault.

Michio Kaku on California earthquake: "We're playing Russian roulette with Mother Nature"
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:17 am

The aftershock which hit his morning a little after four was a 5.4 magnitude quake. I was in bed and got up afterwards to check on things. No issues and so I went back to bed.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:34 am

Good morning Pete,

Every time we have an after shock I head towards the door. I made it all the way to the living room on that one. Since it happened I feel more comfortable being near the door. Though I suppose if we get a really big one that collapses the building I stand little chance of making it all the way outside before it happens.

Yesterday I put a pair of shoes outside just in case I do make it out and the building collapses and can't get back in. When the one we were talking about happened I was in bed wearing my birthday suit... I suppose it would be a good idea to put out some clothes along with that pair of shoes! I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a streaker.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:54 am

6.4 magnitude quake leaves behind miles of damage
I wonder what kind of pressure this puts on nearby faults. Could it trigger another quake along another fault line? Owens Valley has had some incredible quakes in the past and the LA area is ripe for another big one. A large quake in the wrong location could incapacitate southern California for days if not weeks.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Local News