Neighbors

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Neighbors

Postby shadylady » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:09 am

desertrat wrote:
ergot wrote:BARKINGDOGS.NET
This is a useful site for dog owners who need to figure out how to get their dog to stop barking or for neighbors who need to involve the legal system. It also has a bunch of news articles about people who have had to deal with barking dogs. Sometimes irate neighbors actually kill dogs when driven crazy by incessant barking. I'm surprised more people aren't murdered as a result of this kind of thing. If the law won't take care of the problem quickly and without a bunch of excuses being made, then people ought to be able to solve the problem themselves. Some jurisdictions do a good job dealing with this problem, but many don't. In these days of mass shootings, I wouldn't be surprised if someone pissed off about non-stop barking didn't just kill a dog, but then went on and killed an entire family. That would at least seem reasonable compared to some of the irrational mass shootings we've seen in the last few years.
http://barkingdogs.net/

Considering that our country was founded by people willing to use lethal force in order to deal with non-lethal issues, I'd say that someone harassed by a neighbor allowing a dog to bark falls pretty squarely into the realm of self-defense. If on a jury, I'd vote not guilty and maybe even award the guy a medal of valor! After all, we live in a world where it is considered brave to falsely accuse people of petty sexual improprieties. Compared to such insignificant issues, a barking dog does seem like something worth doing something about! And it's definitely the case that compared to some of the mass shootings which have been based on vague ideological issues, that a barking dog which robs a person of sleep and deprives a person of peace and quiet is a pretty solid basis for drastic action, preferably legal, but in a country with a dysfunctional legal system, I could see how someone might decide to resort to violence, although I certainly cannot condone such action.

Unless your nearest neighbor lives a mile away from you, there ain't no excuse for allowing your dog to bark!
:smack:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:33 pm

shadylady: I couldn't agree more. And that goes for other noisy activities too. The one exception would be legitimately necessary construction. For instance, I noticed someone's wall knocked down by the recent earthquakes. It might be a little noisy demolishing the old, damaged wall so that something new can go up in its place.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sierra_jim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:39 am

Typically people will try the "polite" approach when requesting that a neighbor do something to control their barking dog. This is a classic mistake. The truth is that the type of person who mistreats a dog and their neighbors is unlikely to respond in a positive manner to a reasonable request. They're more likely to go into full denial mode and insist that your complaints are unreasonable. The only way you'll make any headway with irresponsible and inconsiderate neighbors is to be persistent. You might even be required to be a total jerk, but keep in mind that even when you are forced to act in an apparently unreasonable manner, it is they that are the source of the problem. You might eventually also need to file a lawsuit, so take notes every step of the way. Ultimately the law is on your side, but often you are forced to go the civil route since those enforcing legal codes often are just full of ridiculous excuses as to why they feel that they are "unable" to do anything about the problem.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby drdesert » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:32 am

sierra_jim: Being polite is like an invitation to be mistreated, especially when you're talking about people who are already rude to begin with. There are a few things more rude than allowing your dog to bark, but there's no denying that barking dogs are pretty high on the list when it comes to typical neighborhood annoyances. As for comments made about mass shootings, I'd say that it is quite likely that more than a few people have been murdered in retaliation for excessive dog barking. It shouldn't come to that, but that's really an issue for law enforcement since irresponsible dog owners tend not to change unless there's pressure applied for them to do so. Many cities have tough noise regulations and it would probably be a good idea for all states to put such regulations into practice.... aggressively!
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby ergot » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:52 pm

KissMyTail wrote:
mrgreen wrote:
defcon wrote:There is an interesting story called "The Grouchy Bus Driver" about a guy who solved the problem of a neighborhood dog that barked too much. I came across it on 4chan, but can't find it anywhere anymore, but I can recall it well enough to retell it. Anyone want to hear it? It's pretty disgusting, but entertaining in a sick and twisted way! I think it qualifies as what they call a creepy pasta kind of story and so I could post it in that thread, but it relates to things being discussed in this thread and so it fits in alright here.

There's actually a film and it's one of those crazy art films. Just barely legal and a copy on your computer could bring charges in some jurisdictions. Not easy to find a copy of the film and don't ask me for a link! Probably best to post that to The Dark Web thread. Although the story definitely fits in with this discussion, it's way beyond what would be appropriate for this thread. I suppose you could tone down the story a bit, but if you've seen the film, you'd know that the filmmakers took everything to the limits and then some.

Something tells me that the film goes beyond the bounds of decency in order to shock the audience. I've seen that kind of "art" film a few times. I wouldn't consider myself a fan of that kind of film, but I am curious and would watch it even if it's the kind of thing that would cause squeamish people to claim that they've been scarred for life. At the least I'd like to hear a synopsis of the film just to get the general idea.

So is this a tease or are you going to let the rest of us in on the story? I'm intrigued and my curiosity needs to be satisfied. Post publicly or send me a private message. Either way works!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 pm

ergot: Okay. So here is a synopsis and I'll leave out the details that might upset the delicate ones who might read this. The entire video is only twenty or so minutes long. The first couple minutes and the last couple minutes take place on a school bus full of children. In the scene at the beginning of the film the guy is grouchy or cranky -- I actually don't recall for sure if the film is called "The Grouchy Bus Driver" or "The Cranky Bus Driver" -- either way it's the same basic idea. In the last two minutes the guy is cheerful and charming and jokes around with the kids like he's their long lost uncle or something, not yelling at the kids like in the first scene. It's what happens between these two scenes which gets a little INTERESTING and which some people would find upsetting. Not sure how to get across the idea without getting graphic. Let's just say that the doggy, the mommy, the daddy, and the cute little daughter are no longer living at the end of that scene and that most of the scene involves extreme mistreatment of the cute little one in front of the parents before they are put out of their misery. I think you get the general idea and by adding that the film is of questionable legality should imply a few other things which I'll leave to your imagination. Go with the worst possible idea that comes to mind and you're probably pretty close! Oh, yes, and I should not neglect to add that the bus driver early in the main scene delivers a little lecture about how he's not especially pleased with their noisy doggy. The lecture makes it clear that the bus driver lives adjacent to the family with the dog. Obviously, the film doesn't provide any info about how the bodies are disposed of or how the bus driver cleans up the mess and so it's not clear how he apparently gets away with the dirty deed, but I suppose that's just a detail that the filmmakers decided was unnecessary for whatever reason.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity! :pac:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby ergot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:13 pm

mrgreen: It sounds a bit like "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathon Swift.
LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal
At the time many people were outraged since they failed to understand that the guy was just making a point through the use of satirical hyperbole. Possibly the makers of "The Grouchy Bus Driver" went too far, but they do ultimately make a good point.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 am

ergot wrote:mrgreen: It sounds a bit like "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathon Swift.
At the time many people were outraged since they failed to understand that the guy was just making a point through the use of satirical hyperbole. Possibly the makers of "The Grouchy Bus Driver" went too far, but they do ultimately make a good point.

That's pretty much my take on the film too. Although it pushes the limits of what some people can tolerate, it makes an important point. Sometimes it takes an extreme statement to get a message through the thick skulls of rude individuals. It's hard to believe that there are people who are that brain dead, but sometimes it seems that zombies walk among us!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:16 am

ergot wrote:mrgreen: It sounds a bit like "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathon Swift.

That one hell of a dance.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:45 am

cactuspete wrote:

That's pretty much my take on the film too. Although it pushes the limits of what some people can tolerate, it makes an important point. Sometimes it takes an extreme statement to get a message through the thick skulls of rude individuals. It's hard to believe that there are people who are that brain dead, but sometimes it seems that zombies walk among us!

I picture myself cheering on the bus driver. Rude people really piss me off and although the movie goes a little far, I recognize it's a little bit of an exaggeration. Hyperbolics is part of modern discourse. Not seeing a problem here.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News