The Pit (Trona Football)

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: The Pit (Trona Football)

Postby defcon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:36 pm

dilbert wrote:Funny how one dumb remark about an earthquake can derail the discussion in an entire thread. The focus here should be Trona Football and not an offhand poorly considered remark made by the coach. I agree that PTSD in this situation is ridiculous, but let us not get distracted from the topic at hand! Having said that, I have nothing to say about football! LOL

Sorry, but I'm going to add to the PTSD discussion.

The amazing thing about stupid people is how they can gleefully engage in stupidly dangerous activities, but then turn around and claim to have PTSD as the result of a relatively benign seismic event. Of course, stupid people tend to think emotionally instead of logically and so they are not able to understand concepts such as probability and simple statistics.
defcon
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby drdesert » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:11 am

defcon: My experience is that there are at least three kinds of stupid: 1) slightly stupid, 2) stubbornly stupid, and 3) irredeemably stupid. There is hope for the slightly stupid since they are at least capable of recognizing that they are stupid. However, they are easily confused and mislead. The stubbornly stupid are their own worst enemy and they almost seem to be proud of their stupidity. There is little hope for them, but there is some potential, if only they would stop being stubborn, which is not highly likely. As for the irredeemably stupid, they are a massive burden on society and there really isn't any hope of turning them into productive members of society.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:47 am

drdesert: To be fair, even smart people do stupid things every now and then. Everybody has a bad day once in awhile. For example, just think how the media loves to pounce on celebrities and politicians for misspeaking as if verbal slip ups are a major issue. There's no need to make a big deal about a verbal blunder. On top of that even smart people sometimes have erroneous beliefs about various things. Sometimes they hear someone that they respect say something (which happens to be factually inaccurate) and they accept that statement as fact without thinking too much about it. Obviously, not so smart people do that kind of thing more often than more intelligent people, but the point is that we should not rush to judgement based on a single verbal screw up.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:12 am

wildrose: No doubt about it. I've known plenty of smart people who do dumb things on occasion, but it's the overall pattern that counts. And certainly nothing I said should be construed as being directed towards any specific person. I was just speaking or writing in general terms.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby dilbert » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 am

Okay, so at this point it's pretty clear that no one really cares much about Trona football! Anyone know how many people actually show up to watch local high school football games? My guess is that if we don't count staff at the school, that the number is pretty low. I've heard that more than a few times the fans in the opposing team's stand have out-numbered the number of fans on the home side of the field.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:38 am

If it's any consolation, other Trona sports attract even fewer spectators and if it weren't for the forced presence of staff I hear some events would include fewer than a dozen people in the stands. To add insult to injury, many of the parents who travel to watch away games have embarrassed our school in recent years. I don't recall the specifics, but there have been a few stories floating around over the past couple years about drunk and disorderly behavior.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:17 am

shadylady: I'm pretty sure that staff members get paid to attend sports events. Probably more parents would show if there were some kind of possibility of winning something. A drawing for prizes would probably boost attendence at sports events quite a lot.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:39 am

twister: Geez! You're probably right, but that's pathetic! I know that most people realize that high school sports are a waste of money and totally pointless, but you shouldn't have to bribe parents to show up to watch their kids play! I'm feeling half disgusted, but I'm laughing at the same time.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am

I read that the band from Burroughs will be performing at the football game here on Friday. That will undoubtedly boost attendence. In fact it's likely that more people will be there to watch the Burroughs band than to watch the football game. Despite that it's awfully nice of the kids from Burroughs to show support for people in Trona. I just hope our people behave and don't embarrass the town!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby JanuaryJones » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:48 am

shadylady: What do you mean? When have degenerate, drunk retards ever behaved in such a manner as to embarrass this town at a high school sporting event? Sadly, the answer is way too often! For that matter a few of our coaches have managed to behave rather badly. I could list a few examples if anyone is interested!
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Local News