TJUSD Board Meeting - April 09, 2020

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - April 09, 2020

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:26 pm

This month the board meeting is being held online. Superintendent Suzette Davis was present online. Everyone participated using Google Meet. Highlights:

1) Concerns about online learning arrangements. Another was what to do about HS graduation. Barstow is actually holding their HS graduation at a drive-in theater!

2) Maintenance: Update on earthquake recovery efforts. Delays due to COVID-19 situation.

3) Principal: Hotspots have been installed at many homes, providing WiFi to students who would not otherwise have internet access. Car rallies will still be held. Public health and local sheriff gave go ahead on that.

4) Large royalty check received. Possibly combined for two months which explains why the check is larger than normal.

5) School Closure / Distance Learning - Superintendent stated that she has heard that the current closure could possibly last into 2021, but everything is speculation at this time.

6) School Calendar - Early start in August so HS finals for the first semester can be completed before Winter Vacation. Also Mondays will be short day for staff meetings. Also school year will end before Memorial Day.

7) TTA Contract - Approved.

FUTURE MEETINGS: Regular Meeting May 14th. Possibly in high school library, but might be online again.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - April 09, 2020

Postby wildrose » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:52 pm

Khan Academy learning plans for school closures
This could be a good resource for distance learning. For that matter, it would be a good resource even when school is in session as normal.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby hand » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:14 am

wildrose: That website looks really well designed and it seems like it would be fun to use. The only problem I see is how does the school know if the kid is really doing the work? The student could be getting a little too much help or someone could even be doing it for the student. I suppose the only way to verify would be to have the student do the tests at the school under the supervision of someone working for the school.
Have A Nice Day
hand
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby dilbert » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 am

Half of everybody is working from home these days. Kids doing school work and adults doing office work and tech stuff. Me, I'm catching up on updating old code for a database system the organization I work for maintains, my wife has her work from her job to do, and the kids are doing their school work and so far it's going well for us. We have managed to stay calm and continue to get along. It's been fun, but I think everyone feels a little cooped up. We're just not used to being home all the time. Having video conferencing options helps, but it's not quite the same as getting out and doing stuff with other people!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:08 am

FBI warns of online attacks on video conference app Zoom
Not a good idea to use Zoom for public school tutoring. Calling Zoom bombers "monsters" (as is done in this video) is a bit melodramatic. The word "pranksters" would be more appropriate.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby KissMyTail » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:22 am

Dr. Oz Says Something INSANE on Fox News
Never mind Dr. Oz's crazy statements, the rest of the video focuses on how nice it would be to open schools back up. Lots of parents are being driven crazy by having their kids at home all the time. Teaching kids (even your own) is a pain in the ass!
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby KissMyTail » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:38 am

Distance Learning is an awful lot like homeschooling and I'll tell you none of my friends are enjoying the experience. I'm sure there are a few people out there with perfect children who do what they're told without any resistance, but none of my friends have kids like that. For me it's working out alright, but I'll be happy when things return to normal. I just have one kid and she's not a lot of trouble and I sort of enjoy having her around a bit more of the time, but I think we'll both be happier when school is back in session!
KissMyTail
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:16 am

Ongoing School Closures Have Many Parents Worried Their Kids Will Fall Behind
Some ideas here which might be helpful.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:53 pm

What children miss from before COVID-19 crisis
The pandemic has changed the lives of everyone around the world and we all miss something!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Fri May 01, 2020 7:29 pm

Gov. Newsom is mulling reopening California schools in July. But is it possible?
Nothing has been decided, but school in the middle of the summer seems a little extreme.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Local News