TJUSD Board Meeting - November 12, 2020

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - November 12, 2020

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Very few people were watching this meeting at any given time. Four out of the five board members were present.
1) Board Member Comments - Good turn out for COVID testing at Senior Center.
2) Superintendent's Report - Thanked staff for working hard to prepare for in person learning.
3) Maintenance Report - Update on ongoing projects. Concrete shortage has slowed progress. New phone system being installed. Bringing in two modular restrooms.
4) Principal's Report - Thanked staff for work this week with return of elementary students to in person learning.
5) Personnel - Substitute teacher approved.
6) History curriculum approved.
7) Cohorts MOU - Agreement with certificated union to allow limited number of 7-12 students to work with teachers in small groups in person.
8) Waiver MOU - Agreement with certificated to allow limited reopening of grades K-6.
9) TCEA MOU - Agreement with classified union to allow limited reopening.
LIVE FEED SUDDENLY STOPPED -- POSTED VIDEO CONTINUED
10) Two additional items discussed. Not terribly interesting.
NEXT MEETING: December 10, 2020
ENROLLMENT: HS = 125, ELEM = 133
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - November 12, 2020

Postby wildrose » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:16 am

November 12th Board Meeting
Not too much covered in this meeting.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Concrete Shortage

Postby dzrtdwg » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:17 am

Concrete shortage? That seems a little odd. It sounds more like an excuse than a reason. That's a real stretch!
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby twister » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Trona Students Return To In Person Learning
Everything I've heard is that it was a disaster, but the writer of this article glosses over the problems and issues and pretends that it was all good.
The Trona Joint Unified School District was able to obtain a waiver for its elementary students to return to campus on Nov. 9. Students returned in groups. Group one physically attends school on Monday and Tuesday, and group two physically attends school on Thursday and Friday. On Wednesday, as well as off-campus days, students learn remotely. Class sizes range from eight to 12 students, with desks being spaced six feet apart in accordance with the Center for Disease Control’s guidelines.

https://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/20201118/trona-unified-welcomes-back-elementary-students
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:09 am

What I've heard is that Sierra Sands is remaining closed at least until the end of 2020, but that it is not likely that they will open before March at the very earliest. For Trona to start back at exactly the time that COVID cases were expected to rise shows a profound lack of leadership. Trona has always suffered from bad leadership, but this was probably the stupidest decision made in the history of the district.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:11 am

cactuspete: Sounds about right. I've heard from a couple friends and they said their kids and kids of friends were excited to be back to in person school at first, but by the end of the second day the novelty had worn off and all the restrictions made the whole experience unpleasant and that they wish they could just stay home. My guess is that most parents are so happy to have some kid-free time that they'll just force their kids to go even if they don't like it!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:16 pm

I couldn't stop laughing when I heard the news and I suppose I shouldn't think it's so funny, but there is a certain irony. So, the school went back into distance learning mode because all the maintenance staff either has COVID or is on quarantine and waiting for test results. The story I heard is that a member of the maintenance staff didn't follow the orders of the governor and attended a large family get together with more than ten people and wound up becoming infected. This person came to work and potentially shared the germs with everyone else on the maintenance staff. Without people to clean the rooms the school must shut down since rooms must be regularly sanitized to help stop the spread of germs. It wasn't teachers or students who were the reason for things being shut down it was a support staff person. Exactly the opposite of what you'd expect.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shotgunmary » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:49 am

Opening the school for in person learning was a stupid mistake. It unnecessarily endangered lives! Kids learn just fine online as long as they have parents who are not total scumbags. I realize that some kids have parents like that, but the rest of us don't need to suffer as a result of their irresponsibility. Hold people accountable. Call the hotline!
https://sbcovid19.com/
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:23 am

shotgunmary: Actually it's an online form and it can be filled out on your smartphone or using a computer. It can be filled out anonymously and so there is no need to fear reprisals.
Complaints can be submitted anonymously. Once a complaint is filed, it is reviewed by County staff. If it appears to be a violation of State orders or guidance, the businesses and/or individuals are contacted by written notice, phone, and a site visit in some cases.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:14 am

For a long time there were many people who thought this whole COVID thing was a joke. I think people are starting to take it more seriously now. But for the slow learners there's the hotline. Some people seem to only catch on when reality bites them on the nose.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News