Fish Canyon

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Fish Canyon

Postby tronagirl » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:27 am

Does anyone have any info on Fish Canyon? I visited the canyon a few years ago and recall metal markers that had words etched into them. I never heard the full story behind those markers. Anyone have any info?
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Fish Canyon

Postby James Sel » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:49 pm

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 am

Nice links, although the second link contains a lot of very out-of-date info. While it is physically possible to drive up the wash to the monuments, it is also extremely illegal. That is not a legal off-road route by any stretch of the imagination. The gibberish about "rock gardens" and rock crawling contained on the page will mislead uninformed off-road enthusiasts into breaking the law and causing further damage to the desert. That's the last thing we need! I'm all for off-roading, but keep it legal and don't mess things up for the rest of us!
:4x4:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

It does look like an old thread after all. Are you saying that Isham Canyon is a closed route? I've never been up there, Just know of the area.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby desertrat » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:08 am

James Sel wrote:It does look like a thread after all. Are you saying that Isham Canyon is a closed route? I've never been up there, Just know of the area.

It doesn't appear to me that Cactuspete is talking about Isham Canyon. What he's talking about is the wash in Fish Canyon. The monuments are a mile above the point where the road actually drops into Fish Canyon. Although many people drive up the wash from that point, it is not a legal route. Also depending on conditions there are a few rock crawling obstacles that might be negotiated on the way up to the monuments as described on the webpage in question. Just to be clear, Isham Canyon is on the Searles Valley side of the Slate Range and Fish Canyon is on the Panamint Valley side of the range. They are located opposite each other on either side of Manly Pass.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm

Fixed it..."old thread"...LOL!

I checked with with B-spec. He said that There are three open routes Isham. Fish and a Isham bypass. Is there a sign on the closed route or used to be and needs to be replaces. I wonder if the 3rd rte is the wash.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 am

James Sel wrote:Fixed it..."old thread"...LOL!

I checked with with B-spec. He said that There are three open routes Isham. Fish and a Isham bypass. Is there a sign on the closed route or used to be and needs to be replaces. I wonder if the 3rd rte is the wash.

My understanding is that the three routes wuold be 1) Isham, 2) road to and down bottom of Fish, and 3) road connecting top of Isham to road to Fish. The road up Fish is definitely not a legal route.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:37 pm

cactuspete wrote:
James Sel wrote:Fixed it..."old thread"...LOL!

My understanding is that the three routes wuold be 1) Isham, 2) road to and down bottom of Fish, and 3) road connecting top of Isham to road to Fish. The road up Fish is definitely not a legal route.

That makes sense. I'm Not interested in Isham but do love to explore in the old Toy. Thx
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:21 am

Took a ride up to Fish Canyon this weekend and was a little surprised at how bad the road was. It wasn't that big of a deal except that it was much worse than I've ever seen Fish before. Those storms last summer did a lot of damage! Hopefully more people will get out and smooth things over a bit!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:55 am

cactuspete: What you say about smoothing things over is exactly right. The only thing that keeps most dirt roads around here open is people using them. Usage smooths things over after a heavy storm and it keeps the roads from vanishing entirely in the long run.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring