Isham Canyon

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Isham Canyon

Postby desertrat » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:13 am

Isham Canyon V Notch
I suppose you could just hike up the canyon, but driving is more of a challenge. Usually hiking is more of a challenge, but that's one of the interesting things about Isham Canyon!
:4x4:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Isham Canyon

Postby tronagirl » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:36 am

Where is Isham Canyon? I've lived her a long time and I've never been there. I heard someone talk about it before, but don't know where it is!
:cool2:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 am

tronagirl wrote:Where is Isham Canyon? I've lived her a long time and I've never been there. I heard someone talk about it before, but don't know where it is!
:cool2:

Drive north on the highway past the airport and Valley Wells and turn right at the Valley Sand and Gravel sign. Go another mile or so and turn left at the bottom of the second major dip in the road. There's an old mining site just beyond this dip. Take the road you turned on up to Isham Canyon. Things don't get rough until you're about half way into the canyon, but you may want high clearance and maybe 4x4 once you make the left turn at the bottom of the second dip.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:20 am

Dirtopia
I really like this Dirtopia website. It's like WikiPedia only it's all about off-road stuff.
Isham Canyon is a very difficult trail in the Trona / Slate Range area. This trail is a lot of fun for the 4x4 adventurer that is looking for a considerably challenging trail. This is not a trail that is recommended for long- or wide-wheel base vehicles unless you are willing to accept body damage and recovery actions. The trail is very, very tight and somewhat technical in places so it is best suited to short wheel-based and very high clearance vehicles. There are no by-passes and very few extra-credit lines due to the narrow nature of the canyon. This is a very remote and little traveled area. If you choose to try this trail alone, bring survival gear and be prepared for a very long hike back to civilization

LINK: http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Isham_Canyon
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 am

Kevin in Isham Canyon - part 1
Some of these videos are pretty funny!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildrose » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:17 am

Went for a walk through Isham Canyon with some friends recently and we were somewhat amused by all the pieces of taillights and other debris left by off-roaders attempting the rough part of the course. Some of the bits and pieces were a bit large to leave behind, but I suppose some of those people probably feel pretty frustrated after damaging their vehicles, although that doesn't excuse the irresponsibility at all.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby jeepnut » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:46 am

wildrose: I won't argue with you about the debris. Off-roaders probably should do a better job cleaning up after themselves. I think the problem is that they sometimes think that they're the only people who matter and so they don't think of other people. It's inconsiderate and I won't try to excuse it, but all of us could try a little harder in that area.
jeepnut
Greenhorn

Postby dustdevil » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39 am

wildrose/jeepnut: I don't condone littering, but I'm not exactly a big fan of nitpicking either. If we're talking little pieces of broken turn signals or bolts that fall off when parts are smashed against rocks, then I'm going to just roll my eyes and say BFD! As for the larger pieces of debris, I'll excuse that too since the owner of the vehicle probably will wind up paying hundreds, if not thousands, to fix the damage, in which case lesson learned. I'll leave it to the nitpickers to pick up the pieces in that case since that's about all they're good for!
dustdevil
Greenhorn

Postby sandman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:22 am

Usually in November a few groups go up Isham Canyon. I've seen the videos, but it might be fun to head up there on a Saturday and watch them put dents in their expensive offroad vehicles. I've heard some of those guys put well over k into lifts and suspension. A picnic lunch on the rocks above the action might be more fun than going to the big city to catch a ballgame! LOL
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby James Sel » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:28 am

sandman wrote:Usually in November a few groups go up Isham Canyon. I've seen the videos, but it might be fun to head up there on a Saturday and watch them put dents in their expensive offroad vehicles. I've heard some of those guys put well over k into lifts and suspension. A picnic lunch on the rocks above the action might be more fun than going to the big city to catch a ballgame! LOL

Heck if you go down to PVDays over the Veteran's Day week end you could probably catch a shotgun seat in one of those jeeps/rigs. I know they plan on running it.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring