Obesity Epidemic (Fattest States)

Any recreational activity or form of entertainment goes here!

Re: Obesity Epidemic (Fattest States)

Postby pcslim » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:30 pm

surfsteve wrote:This video hits the nail on the head based on everything I've read.

I think that these videos hit the nail on the head if the nail is HEART DISEASE, but the thread is about OBESITY. Nevertheless, both videos were interesting and worth watching. What I got out of the videos is that saturated fats and cholesterol are not the biggest contributors to heart disease, but that pharmaceutical companies have capitalized on misconceptions focusing in particular on cholesterol. (The theory linking cholesterol to heart disease was based on bad science, with researchers cherry-picking evidence to support their hypothesis.) As far as diet goes the Mediterranean Diet is associated with a reduction in heart disease. It is relatively low in sugar and relatively high in Omega-3 Fatty Acids, but not particularly low in fat in general. Sugar is a problem because it is associated with inflammation. The same goes for stress. The pathway with sugar has to do with an insulin reaction, whereas with stress it has to do with release of cortisol. (I don't think the video mention cortisol, btw.) Trans fats are yet another problem substance mentioned in the videos. Also important is to get at least two hours of moderate, continuous exercise every week. (By continuous, I mean exercise sessions lasting at least 20 minutes.) Is this what you got out of the videos, SurfSteve, or am I missing something?
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am

I meant to put it in another thread but somehow I mistakenly posted it here. Excellent review. I can see you are paying attention!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat May 17, 2014 7:02 am

The 'Whole 30': Dieters Eliminate Certain Foods to Shed Pounds
A hunter and gatherer diet probably would be more healthy since that's what humans and their evolutionary predecessors ate throughout most of history, but then again grains and root vegetables high in carbs were also pretty important during that entire time too.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Diets

Postby CoolChick » Thu May 29, 2014 7:49 am

You can make it as complicated as you want or you can keep it simple. The bottom line is pretty basic. Eat a healthy diet and don't over-eat. Get some exercise and the body takes care of itself for the most part. Resist the urge to eat junk food and half the battle is over.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BallaratBob » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:24 am

Canine Obesity Epidemic
Sounds like a great pitch to persuade pet-owners to purchase over-priced pet products! Ten percent truth mixed with 90% bullshit, works every time!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby desertrat » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:53 am

Do Obese Women Have 'Food Learning Impairment'?
Seems to me that men and women are obese in more or less equal numbers, but some women may have an issue regarding food that doesn't affect men.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:50 am

Many Parents Of Obese Children Don't Think It's Unhealthy
These parents need to get one simple concept through their thick skulls: Being fat is NOT healthy!!!
:mad2:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:41 am

Is This College Fat Shaming Students? :roll2:
Lots of mean comments left in response to this discussion video. Here's one of the nicer ones:
Well you know what they say. Life is like a box of chocolates - it doesn't last as long for fat people.

As for me, I don't have a problem with what the college did. Most fat (or maybe I used say elevated BMI or obese to be politically correct) people live in a constant state of denial and they need a wake up call every now and then to get them back in touch with reality.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun May 17, 2015 8:43 am

The Truth About 'Fat Shaming'
More attempts to silence free speech. Fat acceptance activists want to dictate what you're allowed to say when it comes to comments regarding obesity. Fat asses need to get off their lard asses and lose the weight and stop excusing their gluttony. (And don't give me any BS about genetics! That excuse applies to less than one percent of those who are obese.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Sun May 17, 2015 2:35 pm

Although I don't believe in being rude, I don't necessarily think it's necessary to sugarcoat everything that's said either. If a joke is funny, I'm going to enjoy it and repeat it regardless of whether or not it's politically correct. Anyone who complains about that can go to hell for all I care. We need to fight to keep the few remaining freedoms we have and we can't put up with people who are overly sensitive who want to take our freedoms away from us!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Recreation and Entertainment