Frontier: NO SPEED INTERNET & Verizon: DO THEY EVEN TRY?

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Cell Phone Service in Trona Not Working

Postby surfsteve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:42 am

I'm not sure what we can do about it. I went on http://downdetector.com/status/verizon and wrote a complaint. Maybe if we flood them with complaints it might help.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:45 am

pcslim wrote: Verizon outage map
At this time the Verizon Wireless outage map shows most of Los Angeles, Hesperia, Ridgecrest, and Trona as affected by the current outage.
LINK: http://downdetector.com/status/verizon/map/

I was just on that site. Zoomed in on Trona and all it shows is a yellow haze on the map over the area! My phone worked in Ridgecrest yesterday and in Los Angeles a few days ago.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Here's what I heard at the school board meeting (report to be posted tomorrow): There's a fire in the mountains near Hesperia which is blocking access to a key cell phone tower which is out. Verizon is not being allowed to access the tower until the fire is contained and at this point the fire is not close to containment! As to why RC has service, no one could explain. They must have a secondary connection to the network which is not available to Trona for some reason. Could have to do with priority being given to RC due to proximity of military base, but that's purely speculation.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Pilot Fire: Hesperia Schools Closed Tuesday
This must be the fire you're referring to. No mention of cell towers, however.
The Pilot Fire is burning between Pilot Rock Ridge and State Highway 173 in Hesperia. Fire line has been constructed in the Summit Valley area. The fire crossed Hwy 173 in the Los Flores Ranch area. Firing operations were conducted along Hwy 173 near Deep Creek and progressed southeast toward the Hwy 173 closure gate near Burnt Flats. Crews are constructing dozer line from Pilot Rock to the Lake Arrowhead Community Services District Wastewater Treatment Plant. Aircraft is being used to the extent possible, but visibility is a limiting factor.

LINK: http://www.smobserved.com/story/2016/08/12/news/pilot-fire-hesperia-schools-closed-tuesday/1726.html
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:48 pm

This was sent in an email from Arzell Hale to workers at the plant:
As you know our cell tower has been out for a couple of days. A Verizon representative said a cable in the L.A. area burned as the result of the forest fires and has to be replaced. We don't know how long this will take.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby twister » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 pm

blackturtle.us: That's the same story I heard. Hopefully this means that Verizon will credit us for days without service!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 am

twister: Good luck on getting any kind of refund for days without service. It's more likely that they'll try to charge extra based on the claim that they had to work extra hard to restore service!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:10 am

My cell phone started working again yesterday evening.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Cell Service Outage

Postby cactusman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:49 am

Sometimes Verizon will automatically refund customers for days without service and other times customers must request a refund. It's difficult to say for sure whether or not they'll do this on their own or if it will be necessary to get after them to do the right thing. It's not like they could possibly not realize there was a prolonged outage. The question is whether they'll not charge for days customers had no service or not.
cactusman
Greenhorn

Postby surfsteve » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:13 am

My cell telephone service stopped working again last night but it looks like it's back up again this morning.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News